Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

You Make the Call.

Here's a topic that some of you may find interesting...

I've hidden the grades on these cards. Please post what grade you would give these two cards.
I'll post a scan of the card grades tomorrow.

Those of you who have some knowledge of the cards in my set, please don't influence the outcome of this informal "survey".

Thanks,

Steve

You make the Call.

Comments

• Options
    Kaline- 7
    Petrocelli- 8.....would be my (uneducated) guesses
  • Options
    thejamthejam Posts: 164
    ak= 7 rp=8
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    Kaline 7, Petrocelli 8oc
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys are tough. Though hard to tell from a scan, they are both 8 candidates but the Kaline may downgrade depending on how significant the chipping is along the edges. I've see cards with worse looking chipping achieve 8NQ.
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    Steve,
    Could you break the cards out of the holders and post better scans?
    I'm really on the fence here and don't want to stir up another love fest.
  • Options
    I think they are both PSA 8.

Those corners are really nice.

But something tells me it might be a trick question so, I'll also toss out a 9 for the Petrocelli and a 7 for the Kaline.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    braves72078braves72078 Posts: 465 ✭✭
    Kaline = 6

Petro = 8
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Kaline 8
    Petrocelli 9
    No such details will spoil my plans...
  • Options
    I'll say.......

Kaline=5
    Rico=6
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    I am assuming that there are no surface creases that the scan won't show, so that we find out later that Rico is a PSA 5 . . . Additionally, it is difficult to tell from a scan whether the cards have rough cuts, dings or chipping . . . That being stated, my guesses are:

Al --7 and Rico -- 8
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    Both 8's.
  • Options

Both are PSA 7 NQ
  • Options
    LOOKS LIKE ONE OF MY PSA6's WITH A MISTERIOUS HIDDEN WRINKLE THAT SHOULD BE PSA8's. MY GUESS IS 2 PSA6's.
    TWINRON
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    I'll say 8 PD on both of them...

(Where's my prize???)

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    look like both 8's to me without a scan of the back
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    Both 9's.

JEB.
  • Options
    Both high end 8's, could see them as 9's
  • Options
    FBFB Posts: 1,684 ✭✭
    I've got to go with

both 8's.
    Frank Bakka
    Sets - 1970, 1971 and 1972
    Always looking for 1972 O-PEE-CHEE Baseball in PSA 9 or 10!

lynnfrank@earthlink.net
    outerbankyank on eBay!
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Kaline = 8
    Petrocelli = 4 in an 8 holder, absolutely the dog of your collection, I will be kind and take it off your hands for $25.

-----------------------

recalling all Wilson Franks

Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    kaline - 8
    petrocelli - 7

(I think the point is to say the petro was
    Under graded, using the Higher graded
    kaline card that is not as nice...)

~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options
    TipemTipem Posts: 881

Best Guess,

Kaline-- 8
    Petrocelli-- 7

Should be

Kaline-- 6 or 7 (at best)
    Petrocelli-- 7PD or maybe 8PD

Vic
    Please be kind to me. Even though I'm now a former postal employee, I'm still capable of snapping at any time.
  • Options
    Kaline- 9.5
    Petrocelli - 9.5

• Options
    Hard to tell from your scans... I'd concur with the guy above who asked you to crack them and give a better look.

IMHO the Kaline today is a 7... though it would probably be an 8 if the card had white borders. My guess for the grade on the holder, however, is that it is a "9 NQ" with a serial number starting with a 0... It looks like the edges have been beat up by the holder stops.

If the discoloration on the Petrocelli around his name is simply jpeg artifacts, I'd guess that card at an "8 NQ".

Again, hard to tell from the scans... and we have also yet to see the backs.

-j
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654

Kaline a 7 having a line across the bottom right corner for thats what psa told me on
    alot of my razor 7's from vintage.

Petrocelli a 9 (nice card)
  • Options
    BoopottsBoopotts Posts: 6,784 ✭✭
    I'd go with toppsgun's guess. I'd say the Kaline has too much chipping around the edges (along with the small ding in what is the lower right corner on the scan) for an 8, although it would definitely be a high seven.

I couldn't get the entire scan on the Petrocelli, but the cut-out picture looks like it's slightly askew, which might account for a bump down on the grading scale.

Either way, IMO these are two very nice cards. I'd like to own either.
  • Options
    Dan.............wanna buy a Petrocelli 8?
  • Options
    seinbigdseinbigd Posts: 206 ✭✭
    dstudeba,

Thanks for the offer but I just couldn't bring myself to take advantage of you like that...
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Kaline 7

Petrocelli 6

The Petrocelli seems to have a white nick in the edge along the middle of the left side of the card -- I think probably many might overlook this in assessing the grade.

I'll also say that it is pretty tough to make a call on the corners because of the scan. They look sharp and like they come to a point -- but I cannot tell for sure.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Good Morning to All,

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond. I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments.

Here's a couple hints I should have included with the original post:

- Cards were graded without qualifiers.

- IMHO, the backside of the cards are clean and well-centered and do not have an adverse impact on the
    grade assigned to the card.

I'll post a scan with the card grades later today.

Steve

• Options

Come on we want gradesimage
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Dammit Steve! This is worse than "details at eleven." I want the answers now!
  • Options
    19541954 Posts: 2,866 ✭✭✭
    Steve,
    I think the cards are very high end. I believe the Petrocelli is equal to the Kaline. It seems like everyone has the opinion that the Kaline card looks chipped or has print defects. That Kaline is extremely nice. I wish I had that one in my set.

Your friend,
    Looking for high grade rookie cards and unopened boxes/cases
  • Options
    Kaline- 7
    Petrocelli- 8

Obviously Steve has some reason to doubt the grades he did receive, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if they both came out as 6's.
  • Options
    Well OK,

For those of you with inquiring minds that want to know...

BigKidatHeart, I agree with you. The Petrocelli appears to be under-graded compared to the Kaline...might be time to crack that one out and give murcerfan a better look at it...congratulations to jimrupprecht who came closest to correctly making the call on these cards.

You Made the Call.
  • Options
    Hold on a sec while I go buy a lottery ticket.....

Ok, back now. I personally don't collect many cards with dark borders, and don't own a single graded, black-bordered card, but have seen too many at shows with chipped borders in 8, 9 or 10 holders. I always suspected that the little bit of movement a card has inside a holder could cause some chipping, and brucemo seems to have tested and confirmed this on his web site. I am a bit surprised to see the 9xxxxxxxx serial number, however. The fact that the chipping, save one possible fleck in the lower left corner, was all between the stops is what made me suspect this.

IMHO, the quality of the scan makes discriminating between 8 and 9 on the other card almost impossible. Regardless, it is a nice card.

-j
  • Options
    dstudebadstudeba Posts: 215 ✭✭
    Dave -

If I had picked up the Jabo, I probably wouldn't be able to afford the $25 I offered for the Petrocelli! HAHA! I have been doing well of late on the set and am now scraping together funds to go after the Groth, unfortunately I know I will but heads with another guy, but hopefully can prevail.

seinbigd -

I am here to help! Nice card though, I love those early 70s pictures of Rico with the sideburns, thanks for the pictures.

---------------------

need Wilson Franks

Search and Track Auctions Automatically

Collectable
  • Options
    This is a super post. It goes to show you the range of grades a group of highly trained eyes can come up with. The Kaline ranged from PSA 5-9 and the Rico ranged from PSA 6-10. We all want consistency in the grading process but I think PSA does the best job of any of the grading companies. Granted some slip through but nobody is perfect. The next time someone complains about a grade they need to read this thread and see how much variance there is with highly trained collectors that have seen hundreds of thousands of cards in their lifetime.

Billy
  • Options
    sein,

Does the kaline have a line across the bottom right corner or is it just a small chip on the bottom
    right border.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    <<The next time someone complains about a grade they need to read this thread and see how much variance there is with highly trained collectors that have seen hundreds of thousands of cards in their lifetime. >>

Only qualification being that my grading accuracy improves two or threefold if I can actually see and handle the card in person. Though the scans were very helpful in this matter -- there are often, including in this case, aspects of the card that cannot be objectively quantified only through a scan.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    ms

here here, for this was not a test.image
  • Options
    Without being able to examine the backs of these cards I would say they are both 7's with Petro being a high end 7, I haven't seen enough greatest moments to tell on the top to bottom centering, but would say that Petro looks to be o/c top to bottom...
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭
    ydsotter,

Somehow, I have a feeling that you've got it backwards. image

JEB.
  • Options
    gator5,

that looks to be a small chip and not a line across the card.
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Three Cheers for you Steve.......

Great post!

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Kaline - 6 or 7 (edge wear on top)
    Petrocelli - 7 or 8 (edge wear on left)