Home U.S. Coin Forum

The BIG BLACK BOX at the old time coin shows???????

orevilleoreville Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
I remember coin shows back to the early through the late 1970's in New York, Boston and Philly in which one or two dealers always seemed to have a large black box (or was it just rectanglar shaped curtained area) with an independent light source (tensor style) withing the "box'"

The purpose of these large boxed area was so you could stick your head into the large porthole and your hands/arms and coins into the smaller side portholes and if I am not mistaken, the dealer had a fourth porthole for stiicking in and replacing the coins for multiple coins viewing.

I distinctly remember that the purpose of these large boxed areas was to block out the poor and confusing lighting that the various shows had, especially since the dreaded florescent bulbs became so prevalent in the late 1960's and early 1970's. It was to create a stable and consistent lighting environment for the buyer to use when looking at the dealer's wares.

Anyone remember this??????? Can anyone provide details as to who did these? Why has this practice died?
A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!

Comments

• I can't help, but this will take this to the top so someone might be able to help....Ken
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,923 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ttt

WOW!!!! No one remembers??????????
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • I dont have an answer but I would like to know. So I'll take it ttt.

Bigern
  • MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,198 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I don't remember this, it was a bit before my time, but I have to wonder based on the stories I've heard about those wild times if there wasn't something other than coin grading going on inside of those big black boxes. image
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file