Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Is this PSA 7?

Take a look at this eBay listing. I've been looking for an affordable Mantle in this year so this caught my eye. At first glance these borders and edges (even centering to a lesser extent) make this seem a 5 at best. What am I missing. All the Mantles from other years that my dad left me have graded 6 and below and I'd take them any day over this example.
Call me crazy, but I collect 62 Topps BB.

eBay auctions

Comments

• Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    I would agree with you in that the scan doesn't make that card stand out as a solid 7. The edges and corners seem to be closer to 5 or 6. Maybe it is just the scan. image
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭

<< <i> Maybe it is just the scan >>

imageimage
  • Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    Seems to fit the PSA 6 standards a little better than the other two choices..

<<
    NM 7: Near Mint.

A PSA NM 7 is a card with just a slight surface wear visible upon close inspection. There may be slight fraying on some corners. Picture focus may be slightly out-of-register. A minor printing blemish is acceptable. Slight wax staining is acceptable on the back of the card only. Most of the original gloss is retained. Centering must be approximately 70/30 to 75/25 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
    EX-MT 6: Excellent-Mint.

A PSA EX-MT 6 card may have visible surface wear or a printing defect which does not detract from its overall appeal. A very light scratch may be detected only upon close inspection. Corners may have slightly graduated fraying. Picture focus may be slightly out of register. Card may show some loss of original gloss, may have minor wax stain on reverse, may exhibit very slight notching on edges and may also show some off-whiteness on borders. Centering must be 80/20 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the reverse.
    EX 5: Excellent.

On PSA EX 5 cards, very minor rounding of the corners is becoming evident. Surface wear or printing defects are more visible. There may be minor chipping on edges. Loss of original gloss will be more apparent. Focus of picture may be slightly out of register. Several light scratches may be visible upon close inspection, but do not detract from the appeal of the card. Card may show some off-whiteness of borders. Centering must be 85/15 or better on the front and 90/10 or better on the back.
    >>
  • Options

PSA graded it. So what's the problem. If your looking for affordable why don't you buy a PSA 3image, I find it kinda funny something grades NM in vintage form we have people whinning. If you can't afford it don't bid on it.

Buying 56, 57, 58 and 62 FB PSA 7-9
  • Options
    Its because we expect consistency from PSA,leadfoot. I wouldn't buy that psa 7 Mantle myself, I've submitted cards that look way better than that and only gotten 7's and 8's on them. That Mantle has extreme chipping along the borders, stain on front middle-left, and 4 dinged corners, and we haven't even seen the back. The centering seems ok to me. It's not a horrible card, but seems a weak 7.
  • Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    72leadfoot

I disagree with your feeling that this person is whinning. I think it is smart to buy the card and not the holder. Just because PSA grades this a 7 does not mean it is of 7 quality. I think it is no higher than a 6 and I would not buy it. I dont think its a matter of affording it or not. Its goes back to what most big time psa buyers will tell you buy the card not the holder.

Sportsadvocate

Your first feeling on this one is correct. Pass on the card and look for a nicer 7. Grades come in different levels with PSA . Some sevens barely miss being an 8 and some barely miss being a 6. This one is he latter. Wait for a better 7 it will come along.

Daveimage
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    That card is graded correctly. If you're familiar with the dark woodgrain '62 Topps, you'd realize that all PSA 7's and most PSA 8's look ugly. The chipping/wear on that Mantle card is consistant with what you'd normally find in a PSA 7 holder, and the centering would meet the standards for a PSA 8. I would not consider it "low end" for the grade at all. I have a '62 Topps PSA 7 Mantle that doesn't look as nice as this one.

Good luck finding a dark woodgrain '62 Topps PSA 7 that shows less chipping/wear in a 419 x 750 scan.
  • Options

Pass on that "deisel"-7. It's got way too much chipping on the borders and rounding at the corners to suit my eye. Nice register and focus, though.

Let bidders such as the above poster bid on it. He buys holders, apparently.
  • Options
    I may have only purchased 15 holdered 1962 Topps cards, submitted 9, and be 26th on the registry for this set, but I'm really disappointed in this 7. I understand the difficulty of this year and everyone I meet at shows just bows their head and nods when I tell them my goal of a 62 PSA 8 holdered set (except the dealers who lick their chops). I submitted a Koufax that unfortunately I can't scan into this post that looks positively gem mint next to this card, no matter what resolution. It came back a 7 and would have the same weighting as this card. I guess I still have a lot to learn.

(edited to post the grade of my Koufax)

eBay auctions
  • Options
    calleochocalleocho Posts: 1,569 ✭✭
    i have a few psa 8's from the 62 set and they dont look a whole lot better.

i am usually happy w/ the eye appeal of a 7 from the 60's expect 62...i bought 8's.

it would be nice to hear from a set builder and what they think about it...

the bowman 55 also comes to mind ...you will see some ugly 7's from that set ...but they are consistent .
    "Women should be obscene and not heard. "
    Groucho Marx
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I think they need to be more consistent with grading regardless of what year it is. I submit a lot of 1975's and I have PSA 7's of those that make this card look like a PSA 2. Both are colored borders and just because one is older than the other, it doesn't mean that it should be graded differently. That's what killed Beckett's credibility was that they started BVG and grade old stuff differently. Mint is Mint and NM is NM, regardless of year. This card would get a PSA 4 or PSA 5 if it was a 1975 Topps.
  • Options

<< <i>Pass on that "deisel"-7. It's got way too much chipping on the borders and rounding at the corners to suit my eye. Nice register and focus, though.

Let bidders such as the above poster bid on it. He buys holders, apparently. >>

Apparently, Toppsgunn is not familiar with dark woodgrain '62 Topps or the following quote:

"It is better to say nothing and have people think you are stupid than to open your mouth and remove any doubt."
  • Options

Hey, flat guy. I've forgotten more about '62 Topps than you'll ever know.

If you like the card, let's see you bid on it and win. Put your money where your {big} mouth is, newbie.
  • Options
    horizontal= Jamie Barnett I'd assume, considering he insulted Dude (Dan Markel) with his first ever post
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Two 2-cent opinions:

The Mantle doesn't look that bad to me in the seven holder. Centering and color look ok.
    At first glance it seems decent even though the edges are kind of rough. Afterall, the scan
    is increased in size.

Horizontal is probably not that new.

aconte
  • Options
    Wabbittwax and I are on the same page here. All cards are supposed to be graded equally, that way when you see a real high end 1962 card you know its one of the rarer cards. If I send in a 1987 donruss card with that much chipping on the black borders it wouldn't come back a PSA 7 and we all know that. So to say that this card is high end is wrong (I think) the centering is good, but the corners, chipping and that little stain on the middle left all hurt this card badly.
  • Options
    aro13aro13 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭
    I agree with aconte on both counts. The card looks fine in a 7 holder.
  • Options
    Banks PSA 7 Scan

I looked for a couple of comparison scans and you can't convince me that this card (the Mantle) in comparison to this Banks card is a seven. My realization is that a 7 for this year could be what I perceive to be anything from a 5 to a 7, whereas an 8 is still an 8 regardless. I guess it just adds to the mystique of a 62 set.

Lesson learned: Definitely buy the card, not the holder (and most certainly, not this card). Unfortunately, that handicaps buying over eBay when supposedly graded cards take some of the mystery out of the condition of the card.

eBay auctions
  • Options
    dudedude Posts: 1,454 ✭✭
    I'll have to agree and disagree with my alter ego Toppsgun. image

The card does slide by as a "7" in my opinion, but I agree that the major chipping ruins the aesthetics of the card. If I was looking for a '62 Mantle PSA 7, I'd hold out for a better one.

goodriddance189 -- I'm impressed with your sense of recall and I owe you a big thanks for taking a stand for decency when that message was posted. I'm pretty certain I know who Horizontal is and it's not Jamie Barnett.

Speaking of Jamie Barnett here's his latest works of art:

Space Monkeys

Surf Monkeys

Hmmm, I'm wondering what (or who) started him on painting monkey's all the sudden?

Here's his website:

El Rey
  • Options
    MeferMefer Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭
    First, let me admit that I am not readily familiar with the 62 issue. Presently, I am putting together a PSA graded 1971 Topps set in 7 or better. As many of you know, 1971s have problems with chipping too. Based on my experience, PSA appears not to place much weight on border chipping in handing out 7 grades on the 71s. For 8s and higher, that is a different story. However, there appears to be allowance for chipping on the 7s. Though noticeable on this Mantle, I would believe it pulled the 7 because the card is centered fairly good and, to my eye, looks pretty good even with the chipping. While I agree this card could have easily pulled a 6 (especially if I was the one to submit it.... image, I can understand the 7 grade within the realm of PSA grading standards.
  • Options
    Dude-

I remember the thread well....it was high comedy, I wish they wouldn't have taken it down

I don't know the story on Jamie Barnett/MW very well other than the lover's quarrel they had on here awhile back (MrBadAdvice and MissGoodAdvice), but I don't like anyone affiliated with BMW whatsoever.....I was unfortunate enough to meet Brian Wentz at a show awhile back. Inconsiderate is the nicest term I can think of for him

-Will
  • Options

<< <i>Banks PSA 7 Scan

I looked for a couple of comparison scans and you can't convince me that this card (the Mantle) in comparison to this Banks card is a seven. >>

SportscardAdvocate,

You're attempting to compare apples to oranges. The Banks card is a light woodgrain '62 Topps. The Mantle card is a dark woodgrain '62 Topps.
  • Options
    Horizontal,
    That Banks looks really nice! I would say that it appears a high-end 7, but also, it's corners appear better than the Mantle. The centering seems about the same with the Mantle slightly better centered. However, if this Banks is a correct PSA 7, then the Mantle is definately overgraded and if the Mantle is a correct PSA 7, then this Banks is very undergraded. Maybe DSL submitted the Mantle and got a 7 out of it, they seem to be able to get higher grades out of PSA image