Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Price of Gold vs Grade

ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭
Can someone explain this to me?

As the price of gold goes up & down, how does it affect the price of St. Gauden pieces? I know the price guide has them well
above gold, but at the coin shows I see MS62's trading for the low $400's.

For example: Let's say a common date Saint is trading for $450 at MS62 and the price of gold suddenly goes to $450. That coin
is of course now worth $450 based on the gold content alone. Now, will the ask price be proportionately scaled above the price
of gold to again make the price based on the Sheldon Scale instead of gold value or will common dates from MS62 & down be a flat
$450 (not including seller's profit adjustments)?

I hope that's not too confusing!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Comments

• Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720
    As Gold moves, the coins do as well. I've got a number of MS $20 Gaudens and they fluctuate rapidly. I have a 27 in 65 that has been up and down by over $400 several timeds this year alone.

I have lots of gold coins like that. I've seen prices change at the bourse tables from Saturday to Sunday, wholly due to gold bullion prices.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file