Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are a lot of 1921 Peace dollars weakly struck?

stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've seen and heard the 1921 Peace$ are weakly struck. Should or will they be weak in ms65?

Thanks in advance if there are any replies.
Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!

Comments

• Options
    CoinosaurusCoinosaurus Posts: 9,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup, lots of weak 65s out there. Look at a lot of them before buying one so you can fairly compare - there are definitely low and high end coins within the 65 range.
  • Options
    Yes, I see weak struck ones with nice eye-appeal and nice original toned surfaces. Or I see a stronger strike with dipped out surfaces. Can't win I guess.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try for as much hair detail as you can get.

I had an MS64 with a pretty nice strike once. I was happy to get it, because it was also a nice mostly-white coin, and for some reason, the High Relief Peace dollars usually look like somebody dunked 'em in their coffee. Streaky, brownish, icky! So look for strike first, and nice color next, I'd say.

A crappy pic of the obverse of my old one

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've seen and heard the 1921 Peace$ are weakly struck. Should or will they be weak in ms65?

Coin--o-whatever hit it on the head. Look look look. They almost all have weak strikes. The very few I have seen that standout come with a standout price. More discouraging is the fact that a complete set of nice strikes seem impossible, thereby chilling my interest to even start a set.

The ones that have nice strikes however with good luster are sure nice.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • Options
    Thanks guys... I figured most were weakly struck from my experience with these, but was trying to be nice with the title of my thread asking if a lot were weakly struck. But in the higher grades I wasn't 100% sure.
  • Options
    You can find AU58s that have a full strike that look much better then a weakly struck MS63/64. Hair and feather detail on this year is appalling. But a full strike MS65 1921 Peace $ is a sight to behold IMHO. It rates right up there with the St.Gauden's $20 gold in HR.

Michael
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549

<< <i>You can find AU58s that have a full strike that look much better then a weakly struck MS63/64. Hair and feather detail on this year is appalling. But a full strike MS65 1921 Peace $ is a sight to behold IMHO. It rates right up there with the St.Gauden's $20 gold in HR.

Michael >>

I've seen it argued that even the various "proof" issues of this coin are not "fully" struck, so I would like to see these 58s. I recently picked up a nice clean "64" that had as good a strike as just about any "65" I've ever seen and most of the "66s" as well. Gladly paid twice sheet for the little girl and she will be with me for a long, long time.

z
  • Options
    If anyone has a pic of a nicely struck 21 Peace$ please post it.
  • Options
    Thanks Baseball!!! Yeah it probably did get a bump cause it don't really look like 66.

<< <i>Weak strikes also seem to be penalized much more than other issues. >>

I would think since these are known for weak strikes they would take that into consideration. This thread has confirmed my thoughts but is educational to me.
  • Options
    That makes sense. The difference of a point between 64-65 is pretty costly.
  • Options
    islemanguislemangu Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭
    Great thread! I have been wondering this myself. Only owned one in 61 that supposedly was well struck. The luster was low but the detail made you definitely know it was different from regular Peace. I just got a 63 supposedly well struck too that I am waiting on. Just to catalog myself the diversity of striking, I would love to see some weak stike pics or would even want to purchase from a member for conversation value.image

YCCTidewater.com
  • Options
    zennyzenny Posts: 1,549
    Baseball

I think your example of a typical strike is actually not weak enough. The "mushball" in the center of the coin is, IMO, approximately 1/2 the size that it usually is. I've seen 66's with way worse strikes than that 65. It's extremely difficult to find a well struck coin in this issue.

And I disagree that the grades are bumped up or down due to strike; it seems they've just resigned themselves to the fact that most of these suckers just weren't hit hard enough and they measure luster and count hits and pretty much disregard strike.

z
  • Options
    jcpingjcping Posts: 2,649 ✭✭✭

If you need a full strike 1921 Peace dollar, go for a Proof one. Almost all 1921 Proof Peace dollars I saw are with excellent strike, especially the liberty hairlines. Nevertheless, most of them were badly dipped (no luster at all) image
    an SLQ and Ike dollars lover

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file