Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Did they counterfeit 50-D Jeffersons................

BigEBigE Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭
.............back when they were worth more? I have an old time set and the 50-D has a really grainy look to it and is struck slightly off-center. Anyone know?------BigE
I'm glad I am a Tree

Comments

• Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    Big E, some clowns have taken a 1959-D and filed away the tail end of the last nine leaving a very small 0.Mr.Lee has one that has been altered and you can see it as plane as day.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    You hit it on the button Nucklehead, looks like that is what they did, then they somehow burnished the coin to cover it up. The zero is tiny. ---------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Im sure they have been counterfeited( Most coins have). Back when the 50-Ds were extremely popular, a roll would run about $1200 bucks and now a roll is a fourth of that. So I wouldnt doubt there was a lot of that going on at the time to fill all the roll crazyness.

Along the same lines, I was reading an article about 1932 D and S quarters and they said there are apparently more of them in existence today than were originally minted.
    --==**Mike**==--
    -I Love all U.S. coin series'
    Especially Large Cents
  • Options
    Maybe the 32-P will become the key dateimage-------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    haletjhaletj Posts: 2,192
    I read somewhere some people in Europe or something used transfer dies to make tons and tons of counterfeit 50-d nickels (back when they were worth a lot). I think a lack of strong detail (near the rims I think?) can give such a counterfeit away.
  • Options
    I think its fair to say that if its worth any money, someone will try to scam....Just like there is apparently alot of counterfeit money coming out of the middle east right now.
  • Options
    MrLeeMrLee Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Big E, some clowns have taken a 1959-D and filed away the tail end of the last nine leaving a very small 0.Mr.Lee has one that has been altered and you can see it as plane as day. >>

And I thought I was the only one that got stuck with one. image
  • Options
    I read somewhere a guy was counterfeiting 1950 nickels. He was doing it for extra money. Didn't know they were scarce. Kinda like Mr. 880! image
  • Options
    Mine (come to find out) is the European transfer die one, thanks haletj, it has no rims, the rarest counterfeit I guess, mine is better than Mr. Lee'simageLOLOLimage-------------------BigE
    I'm glad I am a Tree
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Back in the 1960's there was a man in Texas who was counterfeiting them using spark erosion dies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file