Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Type sets

I remember several years ago, collecting type sets was mildly poplular. It's still pretty popular today in the PCGS coin registry, but there doesn't seem to be any interest in the PSA registry. Any inkling why? Type sets have never been my cup of a tea, but I would have thought a few unweighted Tobacco, Caramel, or even Topps type sets would have some interest.

Joe
No such details will spoil my plans...

Comments

• Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    What are "type" sets? Thanks
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    Collecting one example from several different sets. So a Topps mainstream type set would have one '52 Topps card, one '53 Topps card, etc. I remember back in the '80s a few guys that were working on pre-war type sets.

Joe
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Joe:

Most of the collectors I know that put together type sets:

A) Do not like PSA

B) Often do not like graded cards in general

Frankly, type sets are a pretty awesome and extraordinary thing. With most of the type collectors (Type collectors usually limiting themselves to pre-1930 cards), condition becomes a moot point. If you own a Red Cross back, a T214 Victory Tobacco, a Just So card, etc., you praise the gods of collecting that you were able to find way and (over)pay for it. To have it graded becomes essentially meaningless. Many of those cards are unique or have less than a handful of examples known. People pay thousands for some of those examples when and if they ever become available.

Actually, Leon is a very educated collector and a rather younger gentleman who has one of the better type collections out there. I believe that the majority of his cards are in SGC holders. He has put together an amazing run of cards -- an effort that would take extremely deep pockets, amazing dealer connections, a lot of luck, and a boatload of persistence to even begin to duplicate. Leon is a frequent contributor on the Network54 board....

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    AlanAllenAlanAllen Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭
    That's an excellent explanation Marc, thanks.

Joe
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    My Hall Of Fame autograph registry set is my attempt at a type set. Why else would I have a PSA1 '53 Topps Monte Irvin when I could have a sparkling modern issue. So far I have cards from most Topps issues 1953, 1956-1975 (missing '60,'67,&'71) I also have some Donruss, old Fleer and Bowman cards. I just got this one back from PSA/DNA I'm psyched
    I love old cards and can't justify collecting complete vintage sets when 1 card makes me happy.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs
  • Options
    im doing a type set of one psa 8 or 9 of every hockey set from 1951 to 89......66 total cards, i have 36 so far (about $4 grand into it in a year, not bad considering im in college and dont have a job)
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    ULLR - As a '33 Goudey collector, its very cool seeing a PSA/DNA auto version. Love those dark blue backrounds...jay
  • Options
    UllrUllr Posts: 185 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Jay - the scan does not do the card justice.
    The colors are sweet in person. I still haven't figured out how to get a quality scan of a slabbed card.
    I also have a Bill Dickey from this set but the colors don't jump off the card like the Ruffing.
    collecting '67 & '75 red sox + baseball HOF autographs