Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

If you had unlimited funds - what set would you collect and why??

Just thought i would pose this to everyone out here.

If you had unlimited funds, and could put together any set of your choosing. Which would it be and why?

Rob

Comments

• Options
    spacktrackspacktrack Posts: 1,084 ✭✭
    1953 Topps, followed by 1909-1911 T206 as a second choice.

1953 because of the color, the size, and the backs. These are all things that I have just always loved. The Mantle is a beautiful looking card. I am slowly building this set in raw form, in grades ranging from poor to vg-ex, and even that is a challenge.

T206 because of the breadth of players, some great poses, and the great backgrounds. I am in awe whenever I look at the registry sets.

spacktrack
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Unlimited?? All of them.

Brancabucks? 1949 Leaf, 1951 Bowman, 1953 Bowman Color, 1952 Topps, T-206, 1933 and 1934 Goudey, Diamond Stars and 1971 Topps.
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I agree with Vargha .... unlimited funds would mean I could own one of every card ever issued.

For the post's sake, I would choose the Mickey Mantle Master, 1967 Topps and the T206.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Old Judges -- because of the history involved, the number of variations, and the opportunity to collect the cards of every one of the game's pioneers
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    OK...OK.....you guys took me too literal.

Let me narrow it down now.

When I originally posted this topic, I used the word "SET" in the singlar sense. Meaning "ONE" Which ONE set would you collect. That is why I was asking why you would have choosen that one over all the others.

Rob
  • Options
    For me it would be a very tough decision.

I would probbaly lean toward collecting one of the Cracker Jack sets. Why? Well, I think those cards are absolutely stunning looking. The deep red backgrounds, and the artwork on them are just out of this world.

As a second idea, I would have to say the T206. Again becasue of the wide range of players, the artwork on the cards. And can you say WAGNER....image

Rob
  • Options
    1954 topps and 79 topps hockey
  • Options
    LJB17LJB17 Posts: 252 ✭✭
    54 Wilson Franks and 53 Bowman Color. I agree the older Pre-War cards are more impressive, but I am not near as familiar with those names. Not that I know a lot about the guys form the 50s either, but at least I know the stories.
    Looking for 77 cloth 9s and 10s.
    54 Red Hearts
    and now 64 Stand ups
  • Options
    rob i would have to say 1911 t-205,s the gold borders are a true work of art.the 33 goudys and your cracker jacks would also be a great choice. the color is outstanding for the era.of course a 55 aa football set in 9,s and 10 would not be bad either.but the golden oldies would be the #1 choice. but i think the 1rst thing i would do with unlimited funds is buy the REDSKINS image
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In order of preference:

1) 1953 Color Bowman in PSA 8+
    2) 1971 Topps baseball in PSA 9+
    3) 1952 Topps in PSA 8+

If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably also be buying every vintage unopened pack/box that hit the market.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Oops . . . I did forget to list the Cracker Jack set. 1914 would be cool if I had some of those "unlimited" funds.
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Of course, a MASTER T-206 set, with all advertising backs would be exceptionally cool. I know a few individuals who have attempted that from a "team set" perspective, and even that is an expensive endeavour that takes years. (not to mention that for certain advertising backs, there are many examples that should theoretically exist, but never have surfaced)
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    If the funds were not to be used for investment or resale purposes, .. that is we would all pick the most expensive set so as to gain from its future value. Just selecting a set or two which we would really enjoy regardless of worth........

Really old: 1912 Hassan Triple Folders. So advanced, colorfull, and unique for a 90 year old set.
    Old: 1956 Topps. Quite attractive, superstars galore, non-standard size.
    Newer: 1979 Topps. Kind of tough in nice shape, and hardly anyone else desires / collects it.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Kellogg's 10's ...of course!

True blue to the end...

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    murcerfanmurcerfan Posts: 2,329 ✭✭
    '68 topps 3-d apparently image

but how about a NM/MT Duke Cabinet Card set ?
  • Options
    pcpc Posts: 743
    clean out the topps vault
    Money is your ticket to freedom.
  • Options
    For me it would be the 1911 T-205 set. The gold borders and bold colors are jaw droppingly attractive!

2nd choice- 1955 Topps set..all 9's of course!
    missinglinks

Currently working on:
    *1941 Double Play
    *500 Home Run Rookie Cards

Always Upgrading
    *1954 Dan Dee
    *1959 Fleer Three Stooges
  • Options
    Without a Doubt 1914 Cracker Jack in PSA 8 or 9 condition....
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    I agree with the Topps Vault. That's some of the coolest stuff to hit Ebay. I keep seeing those Garbage Pail Kids Origianl Art hitting Ebay. They close at about $1000-$3000 a piece.
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>In order of preference:

1) 1953 Color Bowman in PSA 8+
    2) 1971 Topps baseball in PSA 9+
    3) 1952 Topps in PSA 8+

If I had unlimited funds, I'd probably also be buying every vintage unopened pack/box that hit the market. >>

I agree with gemint. As far as order of preference, I'd switch the '71 and '52 sets though.

JEB.
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    One set that I would scoop up is the 1912 T202 Hassan Triple Folders in high grade. A neat set ahead of its time...jay
  • Options
    helionauthelionaut Posts: 1,555 ✭✭
    Just to be different, I'd build a set of 2001 Topps Heritage, 2002 Topps 206, and 2003 Topps 205, with all inserts and parallels. All very fine, fun sets (at least the first 2 are, the last isn't out yet, but I'm betting it is).

But for sets starting with a 1, I'd do a HOF/stars autographed/game-used set. I already collect HOF GU cards, unslabbed, and am considering the HOF cards. With PSA's registry for those sets, and cheaper PSA/DNA prices, that's a good proposition for the bottomless checkbook fantasy.
    WANTED:
    2005 Origins Old Judge Brown #/20 and Black 1/1s, 2000 Ultimate Victory Gold #/25
    2004 UD Legends Bake McBride autos & parallels, and 1974 Topps #601 PSA 9
    Rare Grady Sizemore parallels, printing plates, autographs

Nothing on ebay
  • Options
    gaspipe26gaspipe26 Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭
    My choice would be 1956. The best looking set ever made.
  • Options
    Baseball : 1954 Topps
    Basketball : 1961 Fleer
    Football : 1955 Topps AA

All psa 9 or better. I think I could live with those three sets.
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    helionaut, that 2001 Heritage is just an awesome set. I'd love to slab that all in PSA 10 but it probably wouldn't be much of a challenge. That set still has many collector's even today. It's one of those sets that will wind up like the 1990 Leaf that will always be popular for years to come.
  • Options
    1933 DeLong...

Only 2 cards have been graded psa 9 and 110 psa 8's.
    For a 24 card set a gpa of 8.0 or higher would be almost impossible and veryimage
    A giant ball player standing in the center of an arcade/pinball machine like stadium, depicts how our society views It's superstar sports hero's. For me this set says it all. Great color also.
    John/mxer

Orioles cards from 1960 to today.

Be good my brothers.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭
    Hmmmmm... that's a tough question, but a good one! If I had
    to pick just one set out of them all, I guess I'd go with the
    1933 Goudey set. Why? Well, it's pretty simple -- fantastic
    colors and tremendous eye appeal, over 40 hall of famers,
    and 4 cards featuring some guy named "Babe Ruth". The Gehrig
    cards are works of art, also.

Once I finished that set I'd probably move on to t206, 1914
    Cracker Jack, 1941 Play Ball, 1938 Goudey, 1950 Bowman, 1954
    Bowman, 1953 Bowman Color, 1934-36 Diamond Stars and of course
    upgrading my '55 All-American football set to 9 or better. image

Chuck

And, yep, I have to agree with you, motocrosser, the '33
    Delong set looks incredible!
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    I"d go for the T3 Turkey Reds. Good player selection and the cards are works of art. I'd include the T9 boxers in there as well since its part of the same set. Back up choice would be the T204 Ramley set for the same reasons.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    53 bowman color (because the photography is so great!)
    then the
    33 or 34 Goudey (again, the artwork is superb!)

but I will never have the money...

~jeff
    imageimage
  • Options
    1. 1952-1955 Red Man in high grade
    2. 1961 Fleer Basketball in high grade
    3. T206 in mid to high grade
    4. Pre war sets from Goudey, Playball, Diamond Stars, Cracker Jack, etc.
    5. Garbage Pail Kids Series 1-15 (lol!!!image )
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    OK. . .time for everyone to throw things at me. . .

I think I'd say 81 Donruss in PSA10. I like the simple layout. A huge percentage of the photos were taken at Wrigley Field and the original Comiskey Park. And to do it in PSA10, you'd NEED a totally unlimited supply of funds because the condition on these was terrible - and issued only in wax boxes.

*ducks*

Otherwise, I'd think 1957 Topps.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    I'd collect the T-205s I'm doing in mid-grade(PSA 3-5) in high grade (6-8) and maybe some of the Old Judges.