Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

Where Have You Gone, 1975 Kellogg's??

I'm new to these boards, so forgive me if this has been hashed out before. I am an avid Kellogg's fan, with several complete and near-complete registry sets, and of course, tons of raw stuff. I have however always been intrigued by the relative rarity of the 1975 set. Building a high-grade complete 1971 registry set was a breeze compared to finding the 1975's. Although I have just posted a near-complete 1975 set, my ability to do so was more a stroke of luck than of tenacity! In any event, I was wondering if any of you - especially my fellow K fans - have any theories?

By way of introduction, I am Steve Wolfe, and you can also find me on eBay under the name "cstephen2". I have 30+ sets on the registry, under the name "Steve's Excellent...." I am also the guy Galveston mentioned as the congressional candidate. Thanks!

Comments

• Options
    StumpStump Posts: 927
    Steve

So very nice to hear from you. I am Dave Jacobs(stump17) on ebay. We have bumped heads quite a bit. From what I ahve learned over the years the 75 set was somewhat of a shortprint but to make matters worse they are famous for cracking. Also I would never send them to PSA in the winter. I have/had two sets of these. One set I sent in to psa to get graded in the cold months and got nines back that were just shattered in the holders. I have one set left that is going in soon but I am waiting for 80 degree weather in Michigan. Maybe we can get the King to respond to this Larry seems to be a great wealth of info. Good luck with your campaign and your Kellogg's.

Dave
    Visit my site @ www.djjscards.com
  • Options
    As some of you know, I have a bunch of PSA 8's from the 1975 Kelloggs set. Is anyone interested in those?
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    Hey K guys...

First of all, Welcome Steve.

Just like Stump, we've all been in the eBay pits with you at one time or another.

We all start scratching our heads on those pesky 75's. It really does look like the luck of the draw on these. Productions were very normal, no back room stories about someone hoarding a 'bizillion of them, and Kellogg's contends that all the cards were used in their marketing campaign. So where are they?... My guess is that they were in a warehouse somewhere, and after a few years- just got tossed.

I think Dave is right about sending in your K Kards when its warmer out. I'll stack my "cracking" stories on top of the others.

It makes for Grrreaaaatt collecting fun.

Also, good luck on your pursuit in Congress.

Larry.
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    Thanks, King!

The warehouse story has a logic to it, sort of similar to the dumping at sea of all those high number 1952 Topps we learned about a few years ago.

Riddle me this however: why was Hank Aaron the ONLY superstar of his day to NOT appear in the series? All of the superstars of the early 1970's were on a card at some point or another save the Hammer. Wonder why?
  • Options
    KING KELLOGGKING KELLOGG Posts: 1,157 ✭✭
    I don't know Steve......Maybe he likes Post Cereal.........

Larry
    I LOVE FANCY CURRENCY, pretty girls, Disney Dollars, pretty girls, MPC's, ..did I mention pretty girls???

email....emards4457@msn.com

CHEERS!!
  • Options
    1420sports1420sports Posts: 3,473 ✭✭✭
    I am not as knowledegable as some of the K guys on these boards, but I do know how hard it is to find a Pete Rose in respectable shape. I have seen about 7 raw examples over the past two years and the best one may have been an 8. I think it was closer to a PSA 7 however. The others all had a corner Kellogg Ding in the upper left, so the others may have been a 5 or 6. The 75 Kelloggs set could be very similar to the 71 set over time. And they are very Kool looking K kards to boot.
    collecting various PSA and SGC cards
  • Options
    As to the difficulty of getting PSA 9's, I would rate the Kellogg's sets this way:

1. 1971 Kelloggs Football
    2. 1971 Kelloggs Baseball
    3. 1975 Kelloggs Baseball

Some important differences between 1975 and 1971 baseball sets are:
    1. Number of cards in the issue--57 in 1975 and 75 in 1971
    2. Number of Hall of Famers in the issue(my count, I didn't look it up)--13 in 1975 + Rose; and 18 in 1971 +Rose and Torre
    3. Number of variations--2 in 1975 and 26 in 1971.

I think another important distinction between the two is the fact that Clemente, Mays, Banks and Robinson are all in the 1971 set. While you could certainly argue that Ryan, Schmidt, Jackson and Bench were just as good on the diamond, the preceding all started their careers in the 1950's. And the point I'm trying to make is that I think the 1971 set has more of a vintage 'feel' to it. I'm not trying to argue that the first group was 'better' than the second.

I know there are a lot more 1975 Kelloggs sets than their are 1971 sets but the production standards in 1975 were worse. They are just about as tough to find in PSA 9 as 1971's.

Another eductated guess--The production numbers on the 1971 Kellogg's football set are probably about a third (or less) of the baseball set.
    Strong buyer of 1970 Kelloggs Football & 1971 Kelloggs Baseball and Football. Please help me find cards!
    I have a few hundred extra PSA graded 1971 Kellogg's cards. E-mail for price list. Looking for 1970 Topps Supers in PSA 9 too.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

Welcome to the Kellogg's Karnival Steve!

I've seen your name many times on Ebay. It's good to have you here.
  • Options
    Thanks Gem!

I like the K's for many reasons, but one is that they brought me back to the hobby after a 24 year layoff. I had a nice card collection as a kid but had to sell it to help pay for grad school. About 4 years ago I was moving some stuff and found a complete set of 1976 K's I had obviously completely forgetten about. The cards were in crappy condition, but the find intrigued me to the point that I decided to jump back in. That was May 1999 and since then it has been much fun, which is the point isn't it? I guess I qualify for "advanced collector" status (whatever that means) since among other things I finished my 1952 Topps set last year, but I keep coming back to the K's. The sets are small enough to complete, they are loaded with HOF'ers of my generation, and the basic concept is brilliant. My only regret is their relative fragility.
  • Options
    thegemmintmanthegemmintman Posts: 3,101 ✭✭

<< <i> I finished my 1952 Topps set last year, but I keep coming back to the K's. >>

The man finishes his 1952 Topps set, but he keeps coming back to the Kellogg's cards!!

Ya gotta love it!!