Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

More 1975 Topps Madness

I know it's a PSA 10 HOF'er, but the Pop. is 9 out of only about 60 total PSA 10's for the whole set. What am I missing here?

1975 TOPPS #130 PHIL NIEKRO GEM MINT PSA 10

Comments

• Options
    RedHeart54RedHeart54 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭
    Pop 9 but there's now 100 sets registered. Bidding war?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Vargha -- FWIW, five of those nine PSA 10's were all graded on the same invoice. That invoice seemed to be sporting a large number of high grade Catfish Hunter and Phil Neikro cards.

Who knows what the story is -- but often the high population 10s seem to be graded in lumps, as is seen here. Favorable grader? The possibilities are endless, and we probably will never know for sure.
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    Maybe a Registry bidding war, but most of the set collectors who pursue 10's are the more sophisticated bidders/collectors who tend to snipe and also tend to be more aware of the market pricing. Furthermore, most set collectors for this set aren't pursuing 9's, much less a PSA 10 at 4X SMR with 4 days to go.
  • Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭
    I stay out of these bidding wars.

If I have learned anything (which isn't much) it is that it will
    show up again eventually.

But I rather enjoy it when a card goes wild on Ebay. The rising tide lifts all boats.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    This seller has a quite a few 10's lately he just auctioned of 4-5 1973 Kellogg's PSA 10's ... ANyone know anything about him?
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass... it's about learning to dance in the rain.
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    Jeff, I bought from him.If you can email me I'll be happy to answer any questions worth thinking about.....
  • Options
    purelyPSApurelyPSA Posts: 712 ✭✭
    For the longest time, it seemed that there were only a few PSA 10 graded '75 Topps cards. I seem to remember that Niekro was one of them. I think this might be that first card, based on the old cert #, and not one from the newer batches of 10s. Could be a situation where the owner saw the big jump in the pop report, and decided to get out from under it before it crashed on him.