Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

1975 Topps Baseball Set now has 100 Sets Registered!

I was looking at the 1975 Topps Baseball Registry this morning and noticed there are now 100 sets registered with 18 sets flagged as being recently updated. While the majority of the sets registered are less than 10% complete, there are currently 30 sets with at least 100 cards listed, 15 sets that are at better than 50% complete and 10 sets that are in excess of 80% complete.

Don't forget to pick up those free grades for hitting 85% complete!

1975 Topps Set Registry Current Finest List

Comments

• Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    OT, but if the A's had any hitting this year, they'd be unstoppable. Instead, they seem more like the mid-60's ChiSox.
  • Options
    jaxxrjaxxr Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    1975 Topps BB, on its way to become a "classic" set ??
    There is great interest of course, the number of sets registered confirm this. Colored borders are probably more interesting than traditional white ones. Player selection, multi-player cards, some great rookies, MVP cards, Etc., all add to the desire to collect this 660 card collection which was, I believe, available as a complete set from Penny's and Sears via catalog.

And yes Vargha, the Chisox from the mid to late 60s were truly hitless wonders, but sooo exciting to watch.
    This aint no party,... this aint no disco,.. this aint no fooling around.
  • Options
    BigKidAtHeartBigKidAtHeart Posts: 1,799 ✭✭
    WOW!
    with a SMR of $300,
    how far is this one going to go?!

1975 TOPPS #150 BOB GIBSON PSA 9
    imageimage
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    BKAH> Some things to consider. . .

* The pop is only 2
    * The Gibson had only one PSA9 for a LONG time and this second one is recently submitted
    * While there are 57 examples in PSA8 NQ, finding a nice and clean example even in PSA8 is tough. This card is very prone to print dots, roller marks, snow, and generally bad color. In my experience, most of the 8s I've seen meet the standard for an 8 but wouldn't be cards I'd be proud to own.

That said, this isn't a 9 I'd be proud to own. Looks nice & clean and looks like it has nice corners. But the L/R centering and the diamond-cut makes me wince. Looks more like a nice 8 to me.

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    GATOR5GATOR5 Posts: 654
    Mike,

Not sure what your lookin for looks like a pretty bold 9 to me. I see no slant what so
    ever. Centering isn't that great but it looks to be a screamer..
  • Options
    VirtualizardVirtualizard Posts: 1,936 ✭✭

<< <i>Mike,

Not sure what your lookin for looks like a pretty bold 9 to me. I see no slant what so
    ever. Centering isn't that great but it looks to be a screamer.. >>

Gator, I'm not sure what you're looking at. Maybe the 100,000 or so '81 Topps cards you've been looking at have damaged your eyesight. image That card clearly has a diamond cut.

JEB.
  • Options
    Gator> If that card meets the centering standards for an unqualified 9, it's by the absolute slimmest of margins. It's definitely diamond-cut - look at the right side of the card. Just eye-balling it, it's probably right at 70/30. As I've said before, it may technically meet the standard but isn't a card I'd be proud to own. After submitting a few hundred 75s, I just don't get 9s like this. If it ain't 60/40 or better, it comes back to me in an 8 holder - always.

Mike
  • Options
    mIKE @ vIRT

After further inspection like my heading I have no clue from here on out
    what a 9-8 or a 7-8 or a 8-10 looks like I didn't flip the coin today and I'm
    on hold.

I am not a psa submitter and that is not my psa 9 gibson.

But mike lets get real 70-30 not even close totally within 65-35
  • Options
    VarghaVargha Posts: 2,392 ✭✭
    It looks like the image is at an angle, but the card is cut straight. A diamond cut is not 90 degrees at the corners. But who can tell from a scan like that anyway? All in all, a pretty nice card that will likely see more (and probably better) examples in the future graded PSA 9.
  • Options
    Gator> I took two measurements of L/R centering. Up top by the "Cardinals", it measured 55/45. Down by the ball, I measured it at 66/34. Even if it does measure 65/35 at the worst, don't you think that makes it a pretty marginal 9 - at best?

Mike
  • Options
    Mike,

You know where I stand on the centering issue. Were having the same discussion
    on the sports-mem forum at the moment about botn getting booted.

Yes mike the card looks marginal for sure after looking at it today yesterday it was
    late my eyes were tired. Virtualize was correct I sorted out a 5000 count of 81's then
    looked through 3000 61-2's. Put a couple of totties on top of that and the gibson looked
    to be a blazer. Glad I wasnt listing things on ebay last nightimage

I'll see you next weekend for sure.
  • Options
    EOMINTEOMINT Posts: 349
    I have most of the 75 stars in 9, and this Gibson card is ugly, period. Anyone who can't see it is tilted should have seeing eye dogs and not be allowed to operate a motor vehicle. Also looks like there is chipping or something on the right border.

EO
  • Options
    I don't have any problem with the right edge. One small chip where the yellow meets the red. That by itself isn't all that big a deal.

Mike