Home U.S. Coin Forum

Spam in your PM

Edit July 3:
He's at it again.

Hello,
I am a coin collector from India and presently working on USA type set. Can i know if you have some old Beauties that you have spare and interested in finding a new home for them.
Bye,

Is it possible to block PM from a single user?

Original Message:
I'm I just lucky or do we have a new member spamming everyone (granted it is coin related spam).

This is the message I recieved:

Hello,
I am from India and currently putting up a collection on USA Type set in raw variety(no slabed or proof). I have already collected coins of 20th century except for the barber coins. If you have any spare coin that would be helpful in my collection and willing to exchange with coins from India. Please feel free to pm me.
Bye,
XXXXX (name changed to protect the guilty).

Edit to fix the typo in title

Comments

• From what I gather from previous posts, the member is legit but perhaps a bit rough around the edges. Try to make an allowance for someone who may not understand that his solicitations might offend some. My suggestion is that if you have nothing to offer then just ignore the PM.
    "DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.
  • hookooekoo,

He is a really good guy from India trying to collect US coins. A lot of members have sent him some lower grade raw. All he is asking for is a little help as it can be difficult from where he is. Yes using the PM may not be proper COIN FORUM etiquette but who does 100% of the time.
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    Try to make an allowance for someone who may not understand...

That's why I figured I wouldn't flame the guy by name in public.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    you never know what kinda of pms you get around here...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • I took no offense from this member's request and returned him/her an offer for possible trades.

I see no harm nor any foul here.

• Lucy, I'll bet you do get ALL kinds!!image

BTW, I'm from the southwestern east most part of Northern Slobovia and I collect high grade toned Frankies. Yagotne?

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

when it comes to Frankies, the HepKitty is boss, is this high grade enough for you?

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • That works for me!! You gonna send it as a humanitarian gesture? <SLOBBER..SLOBBER...DROOL>

maybe this is a acceptable blue/orange toned grade?

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Lucy, I want to see more of the 58-D; I'm a little partial toward it.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
    Yes using the PM may not be proper COIN FORUM etiquette but who does 100% of the time.

The PM wouldn't have come off so much like spam if it had been a message like...

I was reading the tread entitled blab blab Barber blab and you seem to be a collector of Barber coins. I am ... blab blab ... and hoped you might have some spare barber coins you might like to trade.

... but since I haven't been discussing barber coinage, there was nothing to prompt the user to PM specifically me.

As an example, this type of message addressed to LucyBop inquiring about Frankies would make a lot of cents, but since I don't know of anything that would have prompted this user to ask specifically me about barber coins, I'm ASSUMING he's sending mass PMs and hence the reason I'm calling it spam.

My purpose for this thread was to see if my asumption was correct. Other wise, I didn't send back any nasty replies (or as I said, even named the user who sent the message).
  • Oh, FIIIIIIIIINE!!!! Just dangle all the pretties in front of the less fortunate and gloat!! Yeppers, you can send that one too!!!! All free of course!!

I always be-bop on over to your site to see what you have for sale from time to time.

a 1953s ms66!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Lucy..go to bed!!! You are making us all feel bad!!!image

• Lucy,

If you would just dip those corroded coins, some of them might come out bright and beautiful... imageimage
    dip em and they come out like this high end fbl brilliant knockout!

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • See?!!! I told you so...
    but why take away the pretty text tile pattern?

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
  • Lucy,

If you would just take your coins out of your blue jeans pocket before you wash them, you wouldn't be getting those textile patterns on your nice shiny coins. image

<running away very fast now...>
  • Lucy, that textile coin is really...................Well, different. I like...Ken
  • RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    I got the same PM. In the strictest sense it is spam. Spam being defined as unsolicited and sent to multiple people. But, as spam goes, it was not the least offensive and didn't bother me at all.

At least he didn't offer to increase my penis size, or tell me how low mortgage rates are.

Russ, NCNE
  • The first one did not offend in the least... I even considered checking our my India coins to see what I needed...

The second one I thought, "Ok, he made a mistake an PM'd the same guy twice"

The third time, "I am going to turn off my PM if this guys sends me one more PM"
  • coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,484 ✭✭✭
    hookooekoo,

I firmly believe that a PM (PRIVATE Message) should remain private. And, while you didn't disclose the name of the sender, you revealed enough information, so that many forum members will and do know, to whom you are referring.

You could have sent the person a PM in return, if you had a question about or problem with the message you received.

You are, by no means, the only one who has done this, so please don't feel like I'm picking (just) on you.
  • I got the same PM, word for word. I am a darkside collector and I still got the PM..... 2 times. I just replied I do not have anything but good luck in his collecting.
    Becoming informed but still trying to learn every day!
    1-Dammit Boy Oct 14,2003

International Coins
    "A work in progress"

Wayne
    eBay registered name:
    Hard_ Search (buyer/bidder, a small time seller)
    e-mail: wayne.whatley@gmail.com
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    The guy was asking to trade coins - I'm not seeing the problem. Isn't that the point of this board?

Russ, could you forward me that email on penis enlargement. I have this friend who might be interested.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
    I wasn't offened by the FIRST one either, just pretty odd since it hasn't happened before.

But now that I've gotten the SECOND one, I am annoyed.

Coinguy1:
    I firmly believe that a PM (PRIVATE Message) should remain private. And, while you didn't disclose the name of the sender, you revealed enough information, so that many forum members will and do know, to whom you are referring.

I would generally tend to agree that PM should remain private.
    As far as "revealing enough information...", I felt like the only ones who would know to whom I was refering would only be others who recieved the same spam (there wasn't a whole like of personal information revealed and the user was someone I'd never seen and figured was a pretty new user.
    Perhaps I should have just listed the basics of the message, Copy-N-Paste was the quick way. At least I didn't do one of those pathetic name changes like "Hermatige" when I'm trying to "secretly" refer to Haritage.

However; in this case, the PM apparently wasn't "private" at all as is seems to truly be SPAM.
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    baccaruda,

The guy was asking to trade coins - I'm not seeing the problem. Isn't that the point of this board?

With that kind of logic, you could argue that it's ok to "Key Word SPAM" your eBay auctions because the point of eBay is to sell your stuff?

There is a right way and a wrong way to use the resources we have available. The right way for message like the referenced PM is our Buy/Sell/Trade board, not spamming our PM.

As I said in effect in a previous response, I wouldn't have considered it SPAM if it had been addressed personally to me and written because the auther knew I had an interest in the specific coins mentioned (i.e. sending a message like this to LucyBop wanting to trade in Frankies).
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I see your point. He should have posted to the BST but with all the tom-foolery going on around here lately and Cameron not around - It's just anarchy.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I get the feeling that no one wants to get a PM offering a new mortgage or 3 extra inches.

imageimageimage:
    Rockabilly Spam! image

imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    TTT for Edit
  • hmmmmmmm...... still pondering the penis enlargement thread............(for a "friend?" of course...)image
  • ms70ms70 Posts: 13,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lucy-

Those are magnificent Frankies! (and I'm not a Frankie kind of guy!) I love'em!

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file