Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

TBT (Tonekiller) and others: Are Your eBay Rainbow Auctions being Hurt?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
One of my favorite search words for eBay is, "rainbow". Right now I see TexasBullionTraders (Tonekiller here on the forum) is selling some amazing stuff! PCGS and NGC certified blazers with tons of color. I also notice though, inbetween his auctions and other legit sellers are tons of AT stuff that clutters the listings and also delutes the overall integrity of the good coins. Or, so it would seem.
Do you Sellers of the NT coins find the AT being sold only a slight distraction or are these multitude of AT auctions having the effect of clouding bidders judgements and taking away from your bottom line of the NT auctions?

In other words, would your good auctions close at higher prices if these bad auctions didn't exist?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    Include PCGS or NGC in your search, that should weed out the junk
    Bill

The only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...but then it is possible to miss out on some raw toned (that is legit).
    Also, not every Seller includes that info. in their auction. (They should! But they don't always.)

peacockcoins

• Options
    TonekillerTonekiller Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    I had that same thought this morning when I saw all the AT stuff from tonecoin2003. I think that most toned buyers are intelligent and can see that tonecoin2003 coins (all 6 pages) have the same look and are all-raw. 95% of his sales are under $50 and his descriptions are true to what he is selling.....toned coins.

It is sad but not too much we can do. image

TBT
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    I have tried to use other words in my desriptions to stay away from his junk. I had a ebayer send me a message of an offer to buy a NGC graded ms64 common date with a nice rainbow on it for $50 including shipping. Hopefully this was just a inexperienced newbie. He said the toning was not worth a premium. hehe below is the coin in question as yes the coin is a little lighter in color than the photo

check under toning, toned, color, colors

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    If I'm searching for toned coins I usually use this in my search:

(toned, toning, rainbow, colors, color, colored) -(NTC, ACG)
  • Options
    I sometimes email customers of tonecoin2003 and compliment them on purchasing such nice AT coins and inquire if they intend to send them in for grading and with whom...I have yet to get any replies back for some reason...image
  • Options
    I agree TBT this guy "tonecoin" is a real joke! You`d have to be a real rookie not to be able to figure this guy out.
    And you`re right. every one of his coins looks exactly the same!
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    JB, thank you for your purchase of the two PCGS GSA dollars!!!!image
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    ahhhhh

look forward to seeing them!
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    Take a look at the first bidder on this auction link They just got feedback from a $40+ tonecoin2003 AT morgan then they probably expect to get the slabbed one for the same price?image
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>Take a look at the first bidder on this auction link They just got feedback from a $40+ tonecoin2003 AT morgan then they probably expect to get the slabbed one for the same price?image >>

Then again, it could be that you don't know WTF you are talking about. ASSumptions are easy to make. PM me for details if you are interested.

"Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff
  • Options
    Deadhorse, I realize that some people have made some rather strong statements but for clarification I would like to hear your thoughts. I realize that your last post was a bit passionate. Cool down a bit and let's see what's up. You could have a valid point or you might stand to learn something. Either way, all of us out here are on a learning curve and you might have a bit to teach us. Please share. I would like to hear what you have to say.
    "DragonAzz doesn't strike me as a nutcase." clw54 06/18/06

The good thing about having multiple personalities is that there's always a designated driver.

Yes, I'm an agent of Satan but my duties are largely ceremonial.
  • Options
    doopsdoops Posts: 498

<< <i>One of my favorite search words for eBay is, "rainbow". Right now I see TexasBullionTraders (Tonekiller here on the forum) is selling some amazing stuff! PCGS and NGC certified blazers with tons of color. I also notice though, inbetween his auctions and other legit sellers are tons of AT stuff that clutters the listings and also delutes the overall integrity of the good coins. Or, so it would seem.
    Do you Sellers of the NT coins find the AT being sold only a slight distraction or are these multitude of AT auctions having the effect of clouding bidders judgements and taking away from your bottom line of the NT auctions?

In other words, would your good auctions close at higher prices if these bad auctions didn't exist? >>

pat, that is such an analagistically and parabilistically appraoched matter for pure relation to others that i have read or heard one so correct in a while. an excellent move, from a a man whom which is,obviously, very well in touch with his own onner chee is an admirable soul of kindred spirit..superbly simplistically conveyed address. it should be documented
  • Options
    K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    I would say definitely yes, and it is not only the purveyors of AT junk, but the people who manipulate images of NGC and PCGS coins. It has got to the point, where as JB said, you have people making ridiculous offers claiming "that's all they bring on eBay". A good example is this coin, and in fact, I got a PM here offering $95 as "that's what they go for on eBay". While this coin is not a four digit monster, $95 is a joke.

• Options
    I see this as a much larger issue. Not only do these "doctors" hurt the bottom line of others selling naturally toned coins through their coins being purchased for low prices, I think they cause a great many newbie collectors to leave to the hobby for good and thus limit the number of potential future customers for the professional dealers.

I can imagine a situtation where these newbie collectors buy up a couple hundred dollars worth of chemically enhanced coins and send them off to PCGS or NGC and get back bodybags. Once burnt, they might not accept their lumps as experience or the learning curve and decide just not to by any other toned coins or any coins for that matter.

As many of you know this is exactly why I'm doing the CoinReports website. Education is the one way we can prevent these sellers from profiting off their work and forcing others out of the hobby. If someone can be educated to spot the differences between a NT and AT coin, I think these sellers will have a much smaller client base. There will always be someone to buy their coins, but if you can educate the Ebay masses, it might just work.

As for potential litigation against these sellers --- it would almost be impossible. Many of the sellers doing this don't list their coins as being natural. They just say "toned coins," which they are -- artificially toned. There's nothing that states you cannot alter US coinage, though there are similar laws preventing the use of US currency as an advertising medium. The only way I think you could shut down an Ebay seller peddling AT coins is if he is selling them as NT. He would have to use those words or state the coins were toned in such-in-such album. You would have to have blantant misrepresentation in his ad. Then you would have to by up a whole bunch of his coins, have them graded and bodybagged and then you could perhaps file suit for fraud in a court local to you and force the seller to defend in your backyard. But this could be very expensive.

If all of the "toned coin" dealers formed an association, pledged certain duties, rights & responsibilities and paid dues, perhaps this could help. The dues could also be used to fund litigation against these dealers. And you could have a seal of approval for those selling toned coins indicating that they have passed certain test and have agreed not to sell questionable coins.

There are things that could be insituted to cut back the impact these Ebay sellers have on our hobby. But it takes effort and dedication as well as money.

Michael
  • Options
    DeadhorseDeadhorse Posts: 3,720

<< <i>Deadhorse, I realize that some people have made some rather strong statements but for clarification I would like to hear your thoughts. I realize that your last post was a bit passionate. Cool down a bit and let's see what's up. You could have a valid point or you might stand to learn something. Either way, all of us out here are on a learning curve and you might have a bit to teach us. Please share. I would like to hear what you have to say. >>

Again, PM me for details at this point. You will then have a much better understanding of my "passion" regarding this particular issue.
    "Lenin is certainly right. There is no subtler or more severe means of overturning the existing basis of society(destroy capitalism) than to debauch the currency. The process engages all the hidden forces of economic law on the side of destruction, and it does it in a manner which not one man in a million is able to diagnose."
    John Marnard Keynes, The Economic Consequences of the Peace, 1920, page 235ff

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file