Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Create a Coin!

If you could take an existing obverse and reverse designs, and combine them to make a new coin...what would you choose? Denominations don't matter. We'll figure out the size later!

I would love to see the Reverse of the Saint, paired with the Obverse of Liberty Seated Extra Drapery design....
K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmm. Good question.

I'd like the Pan-Pac $50 octagonal reverse, with...

...the Pan-Pac $50 octagonal obverse? image

I really love the reverse of that coin, and the obverse is nice, too. If I had to mule the reverse with another design (even assuming we used the round version), I'm not sure what I'd choose.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    What does one of those look like lordmarcovan? If it is not too much trouble...
    K

• Options
    Kim- here.

I only wish I had personal examples to show you. That ain't likely to happen anytime soon!

The 1915 Panama-Pacific $50 gold commemoratives, struck in both round and octagonal versions:

The round is actually a bit scarcer than the octagonal (483 struck, as opposed to 645), but I like the design of the octagonal ones better. Even if it weren't a $30K+ gold coin, it would still be my favorite design.

(thank you for the pics, coinclub.com, whoever you are)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Ok....I want one of those!!!!! Now I understand your answer perfectly! Thanks!!!!!!
    K

• Options

I got to hold one in my hand at one of the Orlando FUN shows.

Talk about HEAVY!

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178

<< <i>We'll figure out the size later >>

imageimage

Morgan dollar obverse on a Mercury dime size planchet with a barber dime reverse (kinda like those cool patterns boiler78 has!) full Cameo!
  • Options
    littlewicherlittlewicher Posts: 1,822 ✭✭
    I would love to see an obverse of a coin with the simplistic elegance of the $4 gold stella (the non-coiled hair one) paired with the reverse of the simplistic design of the Gobrecht dollar. This coin would factor the simplistic ambiance of American coinage with a subtle respect to commerce, more of a collector's piece.

For some life lasts a short while, but the memories it holds last forever.
    -Laura Swenson

In memory of BL, SM, and KG. 16 and forever young, rest in peace.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll have a 1798/7 $10 (7x6 stars) obverse with a 1795 reverse, thank you!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    If one throws pattern coins into the equation, the possiblities are really interesting...

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    I'd love to see a peace dollar obverse with a draped bust heraldic eagle reverse.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Obverse: Draped Bust Liberty
    Reverse: Gobrecht Flying Eagle
  • Options
    Ooh. I like ER's combo. I'd use the Gobrecht eagle off the dollar, not the cent. (The "starry sky" reverse).

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i> I'd use the Gobrecht eagle off the dollar, not the cent. (The "starry sky" reverse). >>

Yep!
  • Options
    That would be an awesome combo. image

imageimage

• Options
    lard marcovan, try combining an onctogonal obverse, with a circular obverse image. Square peg in a round hole
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    Now that is a sweet combo ER...thanks for the image LordM!
    K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file