Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

The Seller states, "counterfeit" but it looks REAL?!

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3029096207&category=11976&rd=1

I've seen counterfeit Bust Dollars and this one has me fooled. The Seller is honest in his description, but is there a chance he's wrong and it is NOT a counterfeit?
If it is real it's worth a ton more than the bids that are in play now.
Any Bust Experts willing to lend a helping hand and guide me through why this one is not real?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    coinguy1coinguy1 Posts: 13,485
    Pat, one thing that catches my attention, after just a quick look, is that the date looks wrong/too bold.
  • Options
    I know, too 'squared off'- I caught that. But, on a well struck specimen, in AU+, this is still possible?

peacockcoins

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    sure is a nice looking fake
  • Options
    There's a VF30 at heritage. Even though it's worn, it's wing feathers are pristine. From 2 scans!image
  • Options
    Sure shot way! Buy it! Submit it!image
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Supersize the picture. Look at the "R" in LIBERTY. See how it's "broken"?

That's a well-known struck counterfeit, mentioned in the PCGS book. The broken "R" is probably the easiest diagnostic I know of to look for, on the 1799 dollars.

Even without it, that piece wouldn't have looked right to me, somehow.

No, on second glance, edit that- it woulda fooled me, without the "R".

Somebody's gonna try to submit that, and get a bodybag.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    As I understand it, this variety is one of the best. Some counterfeits are so bad, but this one actually looks real. Still too much money already.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    LM is right. That counterfeit is famous. I think it was one of the Travers books that shows the broken R as the diagnostic.
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    Hmm. Maybe it was Travers. Seems to me, it's in the PCGS guide, as well.

Dangerous item. The seller deserves full marks for honesty. He could have hooked a lot of suckers with that piece if he were less ethical. As it is, it looks as though he'll hook a sucker or two, anyway, despite his warnings to them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Well, that answers it. I've heard of good counterfeits out there, just never saw one up close. As a counterfiet, these still have value. Would you place this one as being too expensive now or is there still room on the price?

peacockcoins

• Options
    Too steep now, definitely.

But if reeded edge counterfeits go for absurd prices, why shouldn't this much more sophisticated one go for more?

It's all in the ethics, I suppose.

BTW, I saw another example of this same counterfeit on eBay, a while back. The pics weren't quite as nice, but the seller was also selling it as a counterfeit. He'd gotten a bodybag from PCGS or NGC and had a picture of the "questionable authenticity" insert he'd gotten along with the coin.

I can't remember how the auction did in the end. Pretty good, as I recall, considering it was sold as a counterfeit. There's always somebody willing to gamble.

You can't help but worry that this thing will end up in the wrong hands, though- somebody not as ethical...

• Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    common fake. lots of these around

K S
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Uh,oh. I just checked and the dang thing is up to $280! I bought a couple of this exact same fake for $15 and $20. Dang, someone just got screwed.
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Here's a great link for determining counterfiet bust dollars:

Bust Dollar Counterfiet Detection Web Site

The counterfiet in this thread is called the "Die Hard" counterfiet, according to the author of the web site.
  • Options
    Thanks Numised!

I just read the whole article and it was very interesting. I guess a person should by a graded coin only or get an opinion before spending big bucks.

Dan
  • Options
    sinin1sinin1 Posts: 7,500
    sold for $400+ -> do you think the buyer will sell it as real for $1500?

I remember last summer, a dealer from Minneapolis had one just like it - bought it for $1200 from someone who walked into his store -> sent it in to PCGS

came back bodybagged -> not authentic

sold it on eBay and described story as such, ended up going for a little over $500, if I remember correctly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file