Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

do grading companies ever change their opinion

of a coin if they have made a mistake in the grading process. the reason i ask is i just received 10 coins back today that i sent out to be graded a week ago to ANACS( i know this is a pcgs board and this act was probably blasphemous.( i dont have any dealers here in my area that i would hand over my coins to to send to pcgs) as i was going over the grades on the coins i noticed that on a 1981 S SBA TYPE 2 they listed it as a pr67 type 1 on the lable in the slab. i called them and was told to resubmit it for re-evaluation at no charge but that if they still felt it was a type one they would not change it and charge me the fee. im just wondering if they ever do admit to their mistakes or would that be an embarassing situation for them. the S on this coin is as clear a strke as anything. its not the squared off blob like the type one has. plus their is a big difference in the price.

john

Comments

• Options
    The 1979 S Type 1 is the blob type. The 1981 S Type 1 is the same as the 1979 S Type 2. The 1981 S Type 2 have a flat top. The difference between a 1981 S Type 1 and Type 2 cannot be seen with the naked eye and are very simular.
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    Type 2's have a flat surface accross the top of the S. Type 1's are clear like the Type 2 '79-S. On the SBA in the proof case, it is tough to tell without removal and being able to angle the coin to see the "S" with a slightly flattened top!
    Sent 3 to PCGS and all three were Type 1's. Sent them in the original proof case!
    Live and learn, hope for the best!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    Actually I must disagree, once you learn a 81-S Type II you won't even need a loupe. You can spot them very easily. If you want scan a pic and post it I'll tell you if its a type II. If it's hard to tell the difference, then it's probably a Type III and not a Type II.

Michael
  • Options
    Once you know what your looking for it can be easy.
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All of the grading services will gladly correct their attribution errors.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    I would bet the label is correct. Dont waste your money! Then again, were talking about ANACS!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    i compared it to the photo in my 2003 red book. i will check it again with a stronger loop. maybe im missing something.

john

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file