Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazingly Stupid but True Coin Story

So last night I had dinner with a fellow collector during which we talked about coins in loud voices annoying other restaurant patrons, and also showing each other our cool recent acquisitions. Pretty much an ideal evening.

I had brought a couple of slabbed coins with me, but also one that is raw that I just didn't get around to submitting yet. That last one was in a cotton slip inside one of those old-fashioned little square paper envelopes, and the whole group of them were shoved into my pocket.

So we make it through dinner just fine and I'm on my way home on the Mass pike, which many of you may know has tolls on it (ominous foreshadowing). After rifling through my wallet 4 times unsuccessfully looking for $1s, I resort to scouring the car for loose change with very limited success.

So then I'm digging into my pockets (always awkward with a seatbelt on) and grab a handful of coins, which I'm trying to sort with one hand while driving, and ultimately do into what seems to be a group of 2 quarters, 3 dimes and 4 nickels when I realize, and this is the Gods honest truth, that one of those dimes ain't no dime and yes, I have my raw coin, which has slipped out of its envelope, in that pile.

The good news is that I caught this small mistake before flinging it into the automatic toll machine and that was fortunate, as 1713 French colonial coins have a tendency to jam the machine.

Conclusion: One more reason that slabs can be 'good'.
Singapore

Comments

• Options
    Thats what you get for being loud and annoying at a restaurant. I hate people who do that.
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Agree. "Amazingly Stupid".image Could have gotten yourself into an accident.image
  • Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    It would be a neat job to be the one who checks the toll booth money!!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I guess it's AU now huh?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    imageimage

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    There's another reason to use EZPass (assuming it's available up your way).
  • Options
    This guy needs a Russ Slab Caddy(tm)
  • Options
    CLASSICSCLASSICS Posts: 1,164 ✭✭
    good thing you caught your mistake, it would have been a shame had you put it in the toll.....but, alls well that ends well.....image
  • Options
    JohnZJohnZ Posts: 1,732
    Holy averted disasters, Batman. I think it's time to get that SpeedPass.

We ARE watching you.

• Options

<< <i>Thats what you get for being loud and annoying at a restaurant. I hate people who do that. >>

First, I was kidding about the loud voices for humorous effect. Really we were quiet to the point of looking slightly suspicious, handing each other little packages during dinner that might have been something sneaky, but weren't.

Second, your premise is off-kilter, as ultimately I didn't throw a nearly 300 year old coin into a toll machine and then spend the next day on the phone for 8 hours with some lady from the Turnpike Authority attempting to explain why I needed to look through last night's 'take'.

Singapore
  • Options
    I'm glad I don't have any tolls by me....not only a risk of losing my coinage, but they slow things up a bit
    --==**Mike**==--
    -I Love all U.S. coin series'
    Especially Large Cents
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    B. Max Mehl once spent a Proof Barber half because he had no other halves with him and no way to make the proper change!
    image"Darkside" gold

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file