Home PSA Set Registry Forum
Options

I decided to submitt some 1975 Topps cards...Just got the results

There has been a lot posted about the 1975 Topps set lately. I finally decided to submit some cards from the set so I went through three raw sets. After reading all the posts about the values of the 75's being down and what I need to look for, I narrowed the cards I was going to submit down to 102. The first 30 were cards that I thought would be 9's Then I went through and pulled the stars and the lower pop cards that had a decent shot at getting an 8 or better. I almost went blind looking through so many cards so closely. Well I just got the cards back today and I am pretty happy with the results. I was suprised to see that I got a 10 (#34 Steve Renko). It was a 1 of 1. I ended up with 40 9's and 5 7's, the rest were 8's. Now I need to decide if I want to seriously attempt to complete the set or just keep the stars and teams I am working on.

Comments

• Options
    mrc32mrc32 Posts: 604
    Congrats on a great submission. WOW a 1/1 10....very nice
  • Options
    Nice job krems, especially on the 10, I would say go for the set, you've got a decent chunk started already, what would you be doing the set in? PSA 7,8 or higher?
  • Options
    Krems- Sounds like a pretty good submission, especially for a 1st stab at 75's (not an easy set). I'm looking for a few 75's for a few team/player sets I'm working on. Send me a PM with the submission # and maybe we can work something out. Thanks alot- Scott
  • Options
    qualitycardsqualitycards Posts: 2,811 ✭✭✭
    KREMS - Your submission proves the point that you must agonize and study each card before submitting, and then and only then when it meets your approval is it submission worthy. Many submitters go through their commons and quickly eyeball each card and hope for the best. Then when their order comes back and they have every imaginable grade and qualifier, they scream that only the big guys get the breaks. I contend that no one gets the breaks, the cards speak for themselves. Solomon can testify to that. Now remember, you already scrutinized your 3 raw sets for the cream. So your next submission will no doubt warrant less 9's. But none the less, you did an excellent job of pre-screening your cards and you have a great nucleus on a popular set. Congrats...jay
  • Options
    CreeperKatCreeperKat Posts: 393 ✭✭
    Congrats Krems. If you have any of the following cards that you are willing to sell, please let me know via PM or creeperkat@hotmail.com:

#16 Frank Tanana
    #139 Horacio Pina
    #187 Denny Doyle
    #215 Bobby Valentine
    #417 Skip Lockwood
    #533 Rudy Meoli
    #635 Chuck Dobson

(I'm beginning to sound as desperate as RobE and his search to complete his 1980 Topps. I'm feelin' ya Rob!)
    Looking for Los Angeles/California/Anaheim Angels in PSA 8 or better
  • Options
    mcastaldimcastaldi Posts: 1,130 ✭✭
    Krems> Please let me know if you have these three in PSA8 or better -
    #547 - Von Joshua
    #551 - Larry Christenson
    #601 - Juan Beniquez

Creeper> RobE needs 57 cards - I only need three image

Mike
    So full of action, my name should be a verb.
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    Jay...I totally agree with what you said about prescreening. These cards came from NM/MT or better sets and I pulled about 200 cards originally and went through those carefully and worked the stack down to just over 100. After my first submission I usually take the best of whats left and put it in a nice set and don't send anymore in to be graded because of the diminishing returns. I never did buy into the theory that certain people get better grades because of who they are or the volume they submit.

Creeper - I don't have any of those cards

Mike - I think I can take your list down to two. I do have a #551 Larry Christensen PSA 8...send me a PM
  • Options
    BasiloneBasilone Posts: 2,492 ✭✭

That is the great thing about set collecting and the registry...guys like:

#547 - Von Joshua
    #551 - Larry Christenson
    #601 - Juan Beniquez

become household names to collectors.

John
  • Options
    KremsKrems Posts: 347 ✭✭
    BTW...I have received several PM's about the cards on the invoice....so for those who are interested in looking the invoice # is 8035787
  • Options
    RobERobE Posts: 1,160 ✭✭
    (I'm beginning to sound as desperate as RobE and his search to complete his 1980 Topps. I'm feelin' ya Rob!)

c-kAT - it's been pretty difficult on these last few.I have a submission that is passively in the works and I may be putting things to a screeching hault for a couple months anyway.

Mcastaldi- it's only a matter of time before you finish up.I'll bet that when the National packs up and everybody goes home, You'll have those infamous 3 cards raw or graded.I envy you but strictly on the number 3! image

Good luck on that quest!
  • Options
    RobE> Thanks. However, I won't be at National this year. With SportsFest only a month before National I just couldn't do both. Since I live only 1/2 hour away from SportsFest, the choice was easy.
    SportsFest should be a really good show! The way I see it, there's a month between SportsFest and National. For the West Coast dealers if they drive back home after Chicago, then by the time they get back there just won't be a lot of time to replenish inventory before they have to leave for Atlantic City. That would mean that for many dealers what they bring to National will be the picked-over remains of what they brought to Chicago.
    Well. . .looks good on paper anyway. We'll see how it goes image

Anyway. . .I know I'll finish the 75 set - I just hope it happens before I finish the 72 set image

Mike
  • Options
    WabittwaxWabittwax Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭
    Mike, good luck finding the Christenson, you saved one of the hardest for last. I am getting ready to send a decent Christenson in. It won't 9 but it might 8. We'll see.

As for that PSA 10, I'd bet Frank Smith or Scott Wetzel would throw some crazy money your way for that card. Those two guys are constantly upgrading their 1975 sets and they have a pretty good battle going on.
  • Options
    Mike,I guess then it's possible that you'll complete it sooner.

BTW- I am making a trip to a town (not exactly sure the name of it) about 30 min. outside of Chicago this weekend to see a friend and check into a job out there.When is the sports fest and where is it?If I wind up staying out there I have to know all the hot spots for cards and shows.

This move disrupted my plans to go to the National in AC but I think the benefits will be great if I move.

Rob
  • Options
    RobE> Chicago usually has three major shows each year -
    March - Sun-Times Show
    June or July - SportsFest
    November - Sun-Times Show

SportsFest is usually the bigger of the three, but I would imagine the Sun-Times shows would compare favorably to Ft Washington or Hollywood Park.
    At any rate, all three Chicago shows are at the Stephens Convention Center in Rosemont, just outside of O'Hare. This year, SportsFest is June 27-29.

Mike
  • Options
    Well,that sounds a HELL of a lot better than what goes on around here.We have a lot of shows but no real quality material to speak of and some truly insane prices.

I hope I get to stay out there and experience this hobby out there.