Home U.S. Coin Forum

First Coin Show-any advice

Looks like I will attend my first coin show on June 21. Any advice or tips for a newbie?

Comments

• LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    wearing lots of lipstick and batting the big eyelashes always does wonders for me....
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    Take a greysheet and a lot of money.

David
  • LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best advice is don't let it be your last coin show!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Look at everything before buying anything.
  • Observe as many dealers as you can. Mouth shut eyes open for the first pass around the floor...until you get the feel. Then ask questions. Any dealer who is not willing to answer them does not deserve to earn the sale!
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • GaCoinGuyGaCoinGuy Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭✭
    Don't let the dealers intimidate you. If they act like they are doing you a favor by showing you a coin, they prolly don't need your bus either. And don't be afraid to ask people to move their 17 greysheets, 8 albums, and overnight luggage off the tops of the cases. I saw one guy in Dalton that had a big, large, I mean HUGE suitcase with him, knocking all into people.
    imageimage

• NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    When talking to dealers, firmly grasp the sides of your pants with each hand and, if you drop something, kick it as far as possible.....do not bend over to pick it up. With that advice, you should be just fine.
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    lol. I agree with Ed.

Watch out for your cornhole.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • JamericonJamericon Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
    Comfortable shoes!
    Jamie Yakes - U.S. paper money collector, researcher, and author. | Join the SPMCUS Small-Size Notes, National Bank Notes, and NJ Depression Scrip
  • You will probably see many raw "BU" Morgan Dollars at the show. As a new collector I bought some raw "BU" Morgan Dollars 10 years ago which turned out to be cleaned, polished, whizzed, contaminated, about underculated and so on leaving me little more than junk silver. These can be tempting since most are over 100 years old, are in great shape, and are very affordable.

Having said this, if you plan to buy one, stick to PCGS, NGC and ANACS slabbed dollars until you can better identify problem coins, and until you get to know some of the dealers. This is one of the few cases where I recommend buying something in plastic.

Happy hunting and good luck.

Lurking proudly on internet forums since 2001
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you like any other hobbies LOL

wear commfy shoes
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    My advice is to take along some play money (i.e. money you can afford to lose) and any kind of pricing book ("Red Book" being one of the best because it provides a lot of interesting reading as well as easy to obtain, others may tell you to take a grey sheet, but I've been collecting coins for about 4 year now and I still don't know where to obtain one easily and cheaply, but the "Red Book" can be found in most book stores).

At this stage, use the price book to know what are some of the lesser expensive "type" coins and purchase a couple of coins within your spending limit. As an example, if your interested in purchasing a Standing Liberty Quarter, the price guide will let you know that coins such as the 1924, 1925, 1926, 1927, 1928, 1928S, 1929, 1929D, 1929S, 1930, and 1930S are all valued at about the same price for a given grade and will be less expensive than a 1924D, 1924S,1926D,1926S, 1927D, 927S, and 1928D.

After the show, take your new found treasures home. Take time to inspect them. Get a loupe if you don't already have one to look at them under magnification. Purchase a grading book and attempt to grade your coins (start with circulated pieces). Try to learn what you can by studing these first pieces. Take them to a friend in the hobby or to a local coin dealer and let them review the coins with you.

You will most likely find that you spent more for the coins than you had to, but as long as we start with a small quanity of "play" money and only perchase items that hold some appeal for you, you will not care and they will be some great pieces to begin your education from.

A summary of my suggestion might go something like "go to the show expecting to be cheated, spend a little bit of money as if you were just throwing the money away, and purchase something that will hold some interest".

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file