Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Really neat (conder?) token - you'll like this one!

.... and if you can kindly provide any additional information, I'd appreciate it! Appears to have been silvered at one time. Sorry for the mediocre images! By the way, this token is NOT for sale!

Comments

• Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    This is definitely an intriguing token. Obviously a political statement. Anyone know anything about it?
  • Options
    AskariAskari Posts: 3,713
    Check with Conder101. He really knows them inside and out! image
    Askari

Come on over ... to The Dark Side! image
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    That is very interesting. Hopefully someone on here can shed some light on it.
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,176 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe Louis XVI

The end
    Larry

• Options
    CoulportCoulport Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭
    Looks to be from Middlesex (many tokens from this area)
    DH838
    Edge plain
    Catalogs £60 in XF
    The most money I made are on coins I haven't sold.

Got quoins?
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The token in Goose3's link is counterstamped "Becker" on the reverse, in incuse lettering. Wasn't Becker the creator of copies, fantasies, or forgeries of some sort?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    anoldgoatanoldgoat Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭
    imageimage

I...Said...A...BEER
    Alright! Who removed the cork from my lunch?

W.C. Fields
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Sorry been out of town all afternoon.

Coulport is off by a few varieties this is D & H 834 which is rated as Rare and listed in Schwer at £100 in 1983. The example in the 1998 Noble sale brought about $120.

Although this token is listed as a Thomas Spence piece in Dalton and Hamer it was actually produced by either Peter Kempson or William Lutwyche both of Birmingham Warwickshire.

This is a "Conder" token intended to circulate and to be a political propaganda piece depicting the "desired" solution to a certain political rabble rouser, Thomas Paine.

Thomas Paine was an Englishman who liked to write political essays defending positions that were unpopular with the Monarchy and the government in power. In the 1770's he was living in the colonies and it was one of his pamphlets that became the rallying point that pushed the colonies into declaring their independance. You may remember it from you history classes back in high school, The Rights of Man!

After the war ended Paine became disillusioned with the United States and returned to England. Not the smartest move ever.

When the French Revolution broke out, Paine was again a supporter against the Monarchy and he re-published The Rights of Man, this time in England! now the French peasantry rising up and overthrowing the government and executing the Monarchy was very un-nerving to those in power in England, especially as the revolution started breaking down and the Reign of Terror began. The Government tried to crack down on the essayists and Thomas Paine was charged with Treason and was forced to flee to France. (He eventually made himself unpopular in France as well and was eventually forced to flee back to England. The French didn't want to hang him, they wanted to behead him. and at the time a "trial" in france was a mere formality.) Paine eventually returned to The US and died in New York on June 8th, 1809.

As I have said the one side depicts what the issuer thought should happen to Paine and the design on the other side gives thier opinion of his writings calling it The Wrongs of Man while the date is either the date of the publishing of Paines pamphlett, or the date of his treason trial. I don't know which at this time. (This is why we know it was not issued by Spence as Thomas Spence was a supporter of Paine and was eventually tried for treason himself in 1794 for his support of Paines ideas. Spence was eventually acquitted.)

That good enough?

• Options
    1jester1jester Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭
    Conder, that's brilliant!!

I like the reference to "End of Pain", obviously refering to Payne. Nice token!

imageimageimage
    .....GOD

"Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." -Luke 11:9

"Hear, O Israel: The LORD our God is one LORD: And thou shalt love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy might." -Deut. 6:4-5

"For the LORD is our judge, the LORD is our lawgiver, the LORD is our king; He will save us." -Isaiah 33:22
  • Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Nice update!
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    Conder, you are awesome dude.
  • Options
    WOW!!!

I think the only thing you left out of that was the color of Paine's hair.... image
    Cecil
    Total Copper Nutcase - African, British Ships, Channel Islands!!!
    'Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup'
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Sorry I don't know the color of Paines hair but i did find out what the date January 21, 1793 related to. That was the date of the execution of Louis XVI.
  • Options
    Hi Conder101! Thanks for the info! Thanks for that great comments, too! It's the only Conder token I own (so far image).

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file