Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

A few very basic VAM questions

I've done a VAM search on recent threads here and found a lot of useful information, but I still have some very basic questions. Also I'm just about finished with the introductory chapters in my VAM book and I think I understand the basics. I'm most interested in learning how to attribute Morgans. I'm not really interested in accumulating a VAM-focused Morgan collection. I just want to dig a little deeper into the hobby.

Here's my questions:

1. Which dates are the easiest to start with?
2. I have 4x, 5x, 10x loupes. Is that enough...do I really need to buy a microscope?
3. I've read the posts about other recommended books in addition to the VAM book. I don't want to initially overwhelm myself with information, so I'd prefer to just use the VAM book. But is there any other book that's essential?

I have many more questions, but I assume these will start me on the right track. If there's other basic things I need to know to get started, please let me know.

Thanks!
Bill

Comments

• Options
    A microscope allows you to study the coin in a relaxed mode. You can just rotate the coin, zoom in and out and refer back to books. It is just plain easier than using a loupe.

However, if you do decide to get a microscope, be sure to get one that allows you to zoom in and out.

I don't know what you are calling the VAM book, but the best book to use (IMHO) for Morgan Silver Dollar study is the Comprehensive Catalog and Enclyclopedia of Morgan & Peace Dollars, Fourth Edition.

Another much lighter read is Morgan Dollars An In Depth Study. This book talks about each individual Morgan and any interesting note on each (such as the strike or quality, etc.).

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    1. Which dates are the easiest to start with?
    Man, that's a double edged sword! The easiest dates are the low mintage ones with the least number of die pairings and have the biggest differences. The 93-S is the easiest because the entire run used only 1 pair of dies. image The 97-0 quickly comes to mind because the difference are easily seen. The mm is either tilted, high or set right and the 7 is doubled or it's a near date. On the other hand the small mintages makes the easy to attribute coins rare & hard to find. The 78-P is the easiest to find but the 1,000 different die parings will make you go crazy trying to attribute them. Most collectors start out with the major varities like the 7TF, 8TF & 7/8TF and then advance from there. Next comes the 7/8 Weak & the 7/8 Strong. the Tail Feather varities are a good starting point.

2. You don't need to spend money on a microscope, your 1-10X loupes will be fine. If you get serious about VAMs you'll end up getting one though.

3. There's no other book that's essential but the Top 100 is good for quick reference in determining what's common & what's not.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Interested in VAM attribution, huh?

I got to run out for a minute, but, I sure would like to pass some info onto you. When I get back this afternoon, I'll post my thoughts.

Have fun!
    Gilbert
  • Options
    SDCollectorSDCollector Posts: 886 ✭✭
    Thanks for the replies. Numonebuyer, the VAM book is short for the Compresensive Catalog. Dog97, thanks for the info.

Gilbert, I'm really looking forward to your input. I think I've read all of your VAM related posts and I'm very impressed. You've inspired me to learn more.

Thanks again.
    Bill
  • Options
    a 14x (or MAYBE 20x) loupe could be useful
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    DMWJRDMWJR Posts: 5,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I use a standard 16x loupe. 20x is really too much, and 10x is not enough. Pick a date and mint mark that has a relatively short run, and the coins are relatively inexpensive. Go to a coin show, and pick through a few tables. You will have a blast. You might want to start with the Top 100 book as far as beginning your collection. It will expose you to the most different aspects. Then one day you will only want to use the VAM book . . . because you will have become HARD CORE!
    Doug

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file