Home U.S. Coin Forum

Lincoln error experts - 1970S Small Date????

OK, armed with my cherrypicker's guide, I'm going through some mint sets I bought on the bay of e. They were all opened, so I didn't expect much. So far, I found this puppy:

It seems to meet the two Cherrypicker's diagnostics: weak Liberty (very!) and level 7 and 0.

But, I'm no expert, to say the least. Any thoughts on this? Any better pictures of a real small date 1970S?

Maurice
Lurking with intent to loom

Comments

• wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    Try this.

WH
  • wayneherndonwayneherndon Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭
    PS: The picture is not that close up but it looks like a small date to me.
  • Thanks for the reminder about your site... I should check it more often. Very informative.. it's nice of you to provide such a service.

I try to buy from you whenever I can, btw, just because I like your newsletter and your site.. image

I think it's worth sending in, if only for the educational value. I'll get a better close up.
    Maurice
  • ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,776 ✭✭✭✭
    Technically, I don't think the 1970-S Small Date is an error.

I believe it is a variety.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • You are right.. I should at least get the nomenclature right. image

OK, here's some close ups.

Maurice
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    Looks like a SD to me, too.

Rampage.
  • NJCollectorNJCollector Posts: 199 ✭✭
    Isn't the key to determining the small vs large 1970-S to look at the bottom of the & and see how far down it extends?
  • Cherrypicker's guide says the top of the 7 and 0 should be level, and LIBERTY should be faded.
    That's as much as I know... I'm still very much a novice w.r.t varieties
    Maurice
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The RTY of LIBERTY is usually weakly struck. There are a few exceptions to this
    and of course many of the large dates will be weakly struck. Placement of the
    "7" and "0" is a diagnostic, but for most people it's easier to spot the sm dt by
    the lower loop of the "9". It points toward the mint mark on the large date and
    curls up to point at the "7" on the small date. With the proofs some will find the
    height of the "7" and "0" is the easiest way to tell them apart.

A little more than one original '70 mint set in ten will have the small date. Gems
    of these are deceptively difficult to find. "Deceptively" because there are a lot of
    the near misses.

In recent years this is another coin which shows up much more frequently with
    tarnish and spotting when seen in mint packaging.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file