Home U.S. Coin Forum

What type of error is this Roosevelt?

Hi all,
What kind of error is associated with this dime? And how did it happen?

It's about the same size as a penny. Ok, I hope you can follow this description. The rim on the reverse is the same size as the Lincoln but flares out a little wider on the obverse.

Does it carry a premium? I'm probably gonna sell it one day.
Thanks
Tom

Comments

• ldhairldhair Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wrong collar?

Is the edge reeded?
    Larry

• TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    Larry
    The reverse does shows a weak reed but it disapears as the coin flares out(gets bigger in diameter) towards the obverse.

Thanks
    Tom
  • The dime looks like a broadstrike to me.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The dime looks like a broadstrike to me. >>

It is a broadstrike- a pretty large one at that. It would probably be worth around $10-$15 if it's unc.
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
    Hey Dog you out there?

Help us out.
    Larry

On a broadstrike coin did the collar not come into place or was it not there?image
    Larry

• seanqseanq Posts: 8,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is a centered broadstrike. To understand how it was made, it may help to think of the collar as a third die - when the obverse and reverse dies strike, the planchet is forced outward against the collar, and that "third die" forms the reeding. Broadstrikes are created when the collar is not in place; with nothing to retain the metal under pressure from the obverse and reverse dies, the planchet squeezes out from between them. Since the "third die" is missing, true broadstrikes will have no reeding.

Value for the piece is probably right around $10, it would be slightly less were the strike uncentered or the overall size slightly smaller. Not that most people pay attention to such things, but 1994-P is one of the most common dates for off-center and broadstrike dimes.

Nice error coin, thanks for sharing.

Sean Reynolds
    Incomplete planchets wanted, especially Lincoln Cents & type coins.

"Keep in mind that most of what passes as numismatic information is no more than tested opinion at best, and marketing blather at worst. However, I try to choose my words carefully, since I know that you guys are always watching." - Joe O'Connor
  • dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,691 ✭✭✭
    broadstruck. it was struck w/out a collar

K S
  • TrooperTrooper Posts: 1,450
    I learn something new every day. Thanks everyone for the explainations and Sean thanks on how it was produced.

tom
  • cladkingcladking Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There's weak reeding on the reverse? Is this act the normal radius from the center
    with some metal pushed up behind it? It sounds at least a little unusual.
    Tempus fugit.
  • RampageRampage Posts: 9,436 ✭✭✭✭
    The correct wording is as previously stated: Centered Broadstrike

Worth 5 to 10 dollars, retail.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file