Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Thank you PCGS

I want to personally and publicly thank David Hall and PCGS for anawering my question in the Q&A last evening. I've been one of the people complaining about turnaround times. I feel that David answered my question completely and honestly....Ken

My question:

Out here in the real world, when a company gets behind on their orders, they work extra overtime hours during the weekdays and Saturdays and Sundays if the need is there! Does PCGS do the same, and if not, Why? I really don't expect an answer to this, because you all seem to avoid the subject!!...Thanks anyway, Ken

David's answer:

Ken...Graders are working Saturdays...some are putting in 60 hour weeks. We keep increasing the output, but the coins keep arriving at an even faster pace.
The market is hot and submissions are going up. I working on adding to the grading staff, but we want the right graders...I'm sure you don't want an apprentice to grade you coins.
We need graders...we pay about $20,000 per month. Pass the word...but don't call unless I already know who you are and everyone already respects your world class grading skills.
Pass the word...we need a gnother grader or two.
David
PS...Monday was one of our largest submission days ever...we are being bombarded with coins. We'll work on it, but we are not going to compromise on the quality of the people that grade your coins.

Comments

• Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    I really believe that HepDaddy wants to improve the turn around times as much as any of us do.... I too, don't like the wait, but, wait I will...... More PCGS grading for me!
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    $240,000 a year, not bad!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • Options
    LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,004 ✭✭✭
    Now HepDaddy needs to hire me to be in charge of all the Frankie gradings!!!!! I'll single handily improve those turn around times...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • Options
    OK.., I'm a professional Grader! To whom do I send my resume?

Dan image
  • Options
    HepKitty, You will have to give the Frankies back after looking at them! image
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    If they can't find qualified graders at $240K a year, the crackout artists must be making a killing.

I have to ask, though, why is NGC able to turn economy submissions around in less than half the time as PCGS? I'm sure business is booming over there also.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭
    With so much volume out there the crackout guys probably can make triple verses what they can "fallback" on.....being a grader at PCGS making 20k/month.
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    What makes you think NGC is just as busy? They look dead at Long Beach!
  • Options
    I do hereby volunteer to be Lucy's helper. I make some mean Margaritas!!!! Two of my favorite ladies, Margret and Rita.....LOL..
    ...Kenimage
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing this Ken. I have thought this all along, I would rather wait a bit longer than have my coins graded by someone
    who doesn't have the experience neccessary to be consistent over 10 hour days. That is a tough job in my opinion. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    mdwoods, I too agree. Thats why I posted this. I really was starting to lean to the side that they weren't doing anything about this....Ken
  • Options
    What exactly are world class grading skills anyway? I would assume that someone who David knows and are respected by everyone for thier WORLD CLASS grading skills are making more than $20K a month and working for PCGS would be taking a step down!
    PCGS,NGC & ANACS certified toned Morgan dollar dealer.
  • Options
    DCAMFranklinDCAMFranklin Posts: 2,862 ✭✭

<< <i>I have to ask, though, why is NGC able to turn economy submissions around in less than half the time as PCGS? >>

Pfff....Across the street, on their boards, RM is quoting 21 business days for their economy grades. The estimate on submissions here is now showing 65 business days. So that would be less than ONE THIRD that of PCGS!!!

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Pfff....Across the street, on their boards, RM is quoting 21 business days for their economy grades. The estimate on submissions here is now showing 65 business days. So that would be less than ONE THIRD that of PCGS!!! >>

Pfff....Once again, DCAMFranklin, you're wrong. PCGS is 65 CALENDAR days. NGC turnaround of 21 business days is 30 CALENDAR days. And, guess what? I know that because I submit to both, not because I read it somewhere.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    $240K per year? I could be a grader at PCGS. It's either going to be an MS-68 or MS-69 Silver Eagle. I could grade those slugs with my eyes closed. I don't believe in-the-park-home-run-halls quote on what they pay their graders. Did you see his disclaimer: don't call unless I already know you and you are a respected world class grader.

PCGS (and the other services) have proven that they can't even grade the same coin with the same grade within a 6 month period. Over and over again. World class?

Did everyone already forget the Coin World article last month??????????????????????/
  • Options
    NumisEd, can you tell them my 67s are at least 68s!
  • Options
    wallstreetman, if you pay me $240K/yr, I will give you any grade that you want!!
  • Options
    I am glad he answered someone's question. My question just got a deferral so send an email to Carol.

<< <i>At present I am building a Morgan Dollars Basic Set, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921) collection. I would also like to build a Morgan Dollars with Varieties, Circulation Strikes (1878-1921) collection. Do I have to re-enter all of the data from the Basic Set to start the Variety Set or can I somehow port the information from the one to the other and then just add on my variety coins? >>

<< <i>I'm not sure of the answer...Please email Carol or BJ and they can tell you for sure...David
    >>

Numonebuyer
  • Options
    I do not see how they can be so far behind when they have a one grader system. The other guys are there grading and the finalizer can pick any grade he wants. So why not have more finalizers and the backlog would go away in a week.
    PCGS does not and has not had consensus grading in a long time, but they advertise it.
  • Options
    Maybe if PCGS would increase the speed of the slab converyor belt system, then the backlog would also go away.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file