Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Is this just a really crappy scan from Heritage or is NGC's CAM policy this loose?

Check out the obverse scan of this 1909 proof Barber quarter.

In my book this coin should have never made CAM. Is the NGC this loose or are my standards too high? Or, is Heritage really this bad at scanning coins?

IMO, the scan isn't that bad, it's NGC's standard that lacks.

Comments

• Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i bet more cameo in person sight seen
    but still a just made it cameo on the obverse

sincerely michael

• Options
    bozboz Posts: 1,405
    Heritage is known for many things, photos aren't one of them.
    The great use of life is to spend it on something that will outlast it--James Truslow Adams
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your sig coin looks much more cam on the obv. Is it so stated on the holder?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    It looks pretty weak to me too!

BTW I also saw an image of a Cameo Barber in a PCGS holder with a very weak obverse. The reverse was super frosty, DCAM easily. If I run across it again I'll post a link here.
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Just ask yourself how the stars can be heavily frosted while the main design element is brilliant. I'll say it's more frosty in person & NGC's policy is not that loose. That's with it not being a mech error, typo or flat out mistake.
    Heritage's pictures are really bad and do themselves and the collectors that cosign to them a big disservice.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    Dog took the Bone right out of my mouth. It's a bad picture. You can't have Cameo stars and non cameo Main Portrait.image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    jonesy if that coin wasn't in a holder I would say it was cleaned, polished, rubbed, etc and that's why the face is dark & dead.
    Heritage's pictures are really bad and do themselves and the collectors that cosign to them a big disservice.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    BladeBlade Posts: 1,744
    I have had some good experience buying accurately from Heritage's pictures in the past, but in the last couple months the picture quality has gone way downhill. They seemed to have cut way back on resolution and the pics are now very grainy and the lighting is just terrible. I sent them a note yesterday and said I would not bid again because it is basically sight unseen. They responded that they are going to make significant improvements in the near future.

Case in point:
    Here is an image of a $10 Indian MS63 I bought a year ago. Excellent image and very true to the coin:
    Heritage pic - old

Here is an image of a $2.50 Indian MS65 from yesterday's exclusively internet auction. This should be a killer coin - the image bites:
    Heritage pic - recent

I saw many images in the current auction this bad. They better put some resources into this because I won't be bidding on these.
    Tom

NOTE: No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However, a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

Type collector since 1981
    Current focus 1855 date type set
  • Options
    I got a 27S Buff from the Long Beach sale that looks much worse than the picture. I'm even thinking Presidential review!!image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file