Home U.S. Coin Forum

WTC coins have dropped in price

Just take a look at what this one ended at
link

Comments

• braddickbraddick Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those have typically sold for $50.00- $60.00 ("MS69" graded 2001's go for about twice that). I wonder if that is a fluke or if that is now the price for the days to come?

peacockcoins

• mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I was going to bid because the price looked really low but by the time i put in my bid the auction was endedimage
  • This is downright wierd - This is PGCS certified as a former WTC coin? WTF? Isn't this the sort of thing that should be left to ACG and other bottom feeding grading services?
  • Typically, the price drops after the hype gets old and when people discover that there is no scarcity factor.
  • I wrote about such death slabs awhile back and a few members took great exception to it.

I can't count the number of times non collectors have asked me about the value of such modern day commemorative coins and I have to break the bad news. As time passes they become practically unsellable.

Reminds me of the 70s when "Rare" limited edition silver bars/ingots from everywhere were commemorating everything and everyone to justify a price sometimes 10x melt. I still have a few!

Such coins as the WTC slabs have little to no numismatic value. To believe otherwise is dellusional. Wasn't there a guy on ebay a while back selling some limited edition crap signed by Bush and/or Ford? Same league.

Imagine this coin out of the slab, how much would you pay for it?

Edited to add: Michael Casper is the ebay vendor of the Bush/Ford coins and other novelties.
  • merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    Ohbaby
    This coin is one.The state NY Quarter Coins is different matter all together!!!!!!!!!!image
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • That coin does not look like it is PCGS graded, perhaps a knock off ???
  • hookooekoohookooekoo Posts: 381 ✭✭✭
    That coin does not look like it is PCGS graded, perhaps a knock off ???

Here's an auction that seems to explain

Another WTC Coin
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    WHERE'S THE COIN??????
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • It ended so low because the photo stunk. The seller may as well have not bothered if they were going to post a blurred turd like that for a photo. The example posted by HOOKOOEKOO is more indicative.
  • ohbaby, Why do they have to have numismatic value?
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This is downright wierd - This is PGCS certified as a former WTC coin? WTF? Isn't this the sort of thing that should be left to ACG and other bottom feeding grading services? >>

Yep, surprise! Even the vaunted PCGS does slimy stuff like this sometimes.
  • WSman,

ohbaby, Why do they have to have numismatic value?

They don't have to but they are priced as if they do and mislead uninformed collectors.

As I said, what is the coin worth w/o the slab? 50% of purchase price? 10%? Face? Suppose it was in an ACG death slab? Could get interesting!
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,501 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That picture in the link looks as if it were taken from the top of the WTC...

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • TootawlTootawl Posts: 5,877 ✭✭✭
    Dear seller,
    Please take the following course: Photopraphy Lighting 101.
    PCGS Currency: HOF 2013, Best Low Ball Set 2009-2014, 2016, 2018. Appreciation Award 2015, Best Showcase 2018, Numerous others.
  • flaminioflaminio Posts: 5,664 ✭✭✭

<< <i>As I said, what is the coin worth w/o the slab? 50% of purchase price? 10%? Face? Suppose it was in an ACG death slab? Could get interesting! >>

Without the death slab, the coin is worth bullion value -- about $5-$6. In an ACG death slab, even less image.
  • ohbaby, the coin is worth more in the slab because of the guarantee!
    You can fool man but you can't fool God! He knows why you do what you do!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file