Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I Kick Myself for NOT Bidding On this Coin. Right, or Wrong?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3028949817&category=11976&rd=1

This one was on my 'watch list' all week and a big part of me believes it is a bargain. There is a still, small voice though that says, "It was alright to pass".

What is your impression?

peacockcoins

Comments

• Options
    RegistryCoinRegistryCoin Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭✭
    I don't know much about the coin (lousy pic too), Pat, but with a very good feedback rating, and an upfront return policy, gives his home address, etc...
    Sounds like worth "a peek".
    ps. Two negs: One on "shipping only", other apologized for the neg...
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    You did well by listening to that small voice and that small voice was right.

Brian.
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,407 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Steve.
    -
    Bryan, it sure looks AU'ish to me. If so, and if the small dig can be repaired, seems like a pretty sweet coin.
    I don't know. I was way more interested when it hovered around $700.00 during the latter part of the week.
    Getting up toward $1,500.00 makes me a bit weak.

peacockcoins

• Options
    robertprrobertpr Posts: 6,862 ✭✭✭
    I agree, the small voice was right. The extreme angle of the picture tells me this thing is darker than dark, and that's the only angle the seller could show the coin at. There's a friggin half a hole in! I wouldn't pay a thousand bucks plus, for something pitch black with a hole in it (no matter what type of coin it is). Pat yourself on the back for passing this one up!
  • Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    Probably wise to pass on a raw bust dollar on eBay.
  • Options
    GATGAT Posts: 3,146
    The seller doesn't sound very literate which I always view with suspicion. Think you did well to miss this one.
    USAF vet 1951-59
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Braddick that year comes in only 2 models with draped bust, the b14 & b15. It's not b15. According to the picture it's not b14 and is lacking enough details to be possibly counterfeit but the picture is bad.
    Personally I wouldn't fool with a possible fake then hope the seller honored his refund policy.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    the small voice should have been louder - just for effect.

A coin in that price range, being sold by someone to whom such a coin is ordinary would provide higher quality pix. This is an attempted pass-off from a guy who didn't listen to the small voice and is now stuck trying to move it.

IMHO
    "I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my Grandfather did, as opposed to screaming in terror like his passengers."
  • Options
    toyonakatarotoyonakataro Posts: 407 ✭✭✭
    Very difficul to judge from that pic.
    It's a big gamble to buy expensive raw coins from eBay, but according to my limited experience, what's most risky is to buy expensive coins slabbed by ACG.
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pat -- I don't think it was a bargain. Don't lose sleep over it!
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't spend that kind of dough on a damaged coin, especially with those photos.
  • Options
    jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    I have to admit that is pretty pricey and the pictures don't help. I currently own several early dollars, halves and quarters that I bought for a low price because they were drilled. I look at it as a part of history that happened. Think about how much a dollar would be worth to a farmer back in the 1800's. Cowboys and regular people drilled the coins to attach them to leather laces so not to lose their money on travel.
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Options
    RNCHSNRNCHSN Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    Hi Pat,

I agree with the general concensus, good job listening to the voices in your head! LOL! Besides, it has WAY too much detail for your collection! LOL!
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Let's pretend you did buy the coin and it wasn't a fake. Years from now would you be glad that you bought it or would the "damage" just tempt you to look for a problem free example. I think you were wise to pass, even if you'll have to spend more money for the right one.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Better off without it. The hole kills it IMO.
    Merc collector.
  • Options
    dorkkarldorkkarl Posts: 12,692 ✭✭✭
    you should have bought it!

K S
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Strange. That's the second holed 1795 Small Eagle dollar on eBay this week. I lost by a large margin on the other one, which went for $750+. It was lower grade and had a larger hole, which went all the way through. I think I'd bid something like $365.

PS- you were probably right to pass on that one, but I can see why you were tempted. $1,500+ is a helluva lot of money for a damaged coin. Even I, the Sovereign Lord Of Holey Coins, would have paused there.

I can't seem to get a holed Bust dollar for my vest. People are willing to pay serious money for them.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    i say the voice in ur head was smart
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Save the kick for next time, when you miss out on a real good coin.image
  • Options
    No, but kick yourself anyway just for the fun of it.image
    kobrakoins

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights