Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1958-D Lincoln..I know you think you know what this is about, but Look!!

I realize that the "1" and "9" in the date are not the result of a double die, but my question is.... Check out the 1 in the date. What caused the "serif" on the back side of the top of the "1". And also, what caused it to become machine doubled? Any thoughts???

Comments

• Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    That "serif" looks like a die chip.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Would the die chip also form a "double" image?? Do die chips become fused to the die itself?
  • Options
    krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    A "die chip" means a small piece of the die broke away, which leaves a void that fills with metal when the coin is struck (just like any of the design elements). So a blob of metal due to a die chip can show machine doubling.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• Options
    Great explanation Kranky. I have a hard time with abstract thinking. I have to remember to think of the dies as a reverse image Duh!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file