Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

If I gave you....

100K, and said you had to select three coins that best represented our American heritage, and were reflective of us as a people, what would you select, and why? How would you base your decision?

The coin must be obtainable, or currently residing in a known collection. Pops and grades are up to you! You can only spend 100K or less!
Shall me make this interesting? The best answer wins a very nice prize from my personal collection of toned war jeffs. We'll take a poll later to determine the winner- if you guys and gals decide to play! This is my first crack at a post like this...so if someone pee'd in your cheerios today, show some mercy please! image
K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
moments that take our breath away.

Comments

• Options
    jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    1891 CC in ms68PL that Legend has for sale right now for $100k

no other coins needed!

• Options
    1st I would buy a indian head to reseamble the early native americans.

2nd I would buy a lincon to resamble the civil war.

3rd I would buy a flying eagle to represent our country. image

If I win please PM me
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    100K sounds like a nice deal for an 89-CC. Too bad it's a 91-CC now!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Let's see. A Oregon Trail half dollar or the Buffalo Nickel is probably about the most American coins ever designed to me so add one of those for me (you can pick). An Ike for the reverse which is so representative of what we can do when we put our minds to it so add one of those. And, since I would want to add in a design representative of Liberty and an Eagle so i would choose a Bust coin of one type or another (probably a half or a dollar.) Probably not the type answers you were expecting and I would have about 99 grand left over. image

If I do win, send the prize to one of the YN's on the group.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    mbbikermbbiker Posts: 2,873
    I would get a 1793 Chain cent because that was one of the first "real" coins that the US made the 2nd coin would be a Nice MS-67 morgan dollar because they have been around for a while and almost everyone knows what they are. Lastly i would get a high relief $20 saint gaudens to show how well the US could design coins and also show that at one point in history gold was actually used to buy things not just sit in peoples bank vaults.
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Well, I do not know the values precisely so I may run up the balance a little...

I would first choose a Continental Currency dollar. This coin symbolizes the birth and vision of the nation. It is something that can be paired to a copy of the Declaration of Independence in its significance as a symbol of independence from Britain. It's importance is clear.

I would then choose a roman numeral $20 St. Gaudens. This represents the era very well. The white city in Chicago for the world's fair and expo, the gaudiness (pun intended) of the beaux art being produced. It is also emblematic of the energy and direction of the country as in 1907 the country was gaining ground in the industrial revolution and had passed through the Civil War and the depression of the 1890s. And the optimism of expansion with the Spanish-American war acquisitions and the Panama Canal project.

I would lastly choose the 1964 JFK. The reason for this is the shift in attitude of the country. From trust to pessimism about government. It also saw the shift in currency from a silver standard to base metals. It represented the nation's preoccupation with presidents over congress. That our nation's identity is found in the president and not in the people or in the idealized Liberty.

Neil
  • Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll take a nice unc "1652" (but not really) Pine Tree shilling to represent the colonial era and the spirit and ingenuity of a people who will do what it takes to assert their independence. (The coin was backdated to evade British law.) 25K

An 1848 "Cal" $2.5 gold. The first coin of the gold rush. A nice 64 for 55K will do.

A 1921 Peace dollar, MS 66PQ for 10K. What better to represent our commitment to peace and to the people of the world?

That's 90K. The other 10K is my commission. Hey, what do you expect, this is America!
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Very interesting! Keep them coming!
    K

• Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭
    (1) 1793 Chain Cent, hands down in my book one of the most desirable US coins for its historical significance.

(2) a St. G $20 (Hi relief), hands down the most beautiful coin ever minted (although admittedly I know nothing about non-US coins, so I could be wrong on this one)

(3) a 1972 DD Lincoln cent. This coin came out shortly after I joined my first coin club. For me it was a very exciting time when that variety coin was discovered. I remember one of the members being one to one of our monthly meetings. He bought it from Harry J. Forman for $50 (at that time Harry was the man, and was selling them literally by the roll). Anyway, I really wanted one, but could not afford one at the time.

Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Save most of the money. IMO the workhorse coins that pulled the load and best served the average citizen could be represented with a VG Lg.Cent (any date), a VG Morgan, and any VG Washington quarter. IMO, that best represents our heritage.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BearBear Posts: 18,954 ✭✭
    A magnificent Bust Dollar in superb condition.
    There once was a place called
    Camelotimage
  • Options
    RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    1. Two Cent Piece: Civil War and evolution of In God We Trust motto

2. Racketeer Nickel: To demonstrate our industriousness

3. Any error coin t o demonstrate our flaws

I'd pocket the other $99.5kimage
  • Options
    newsmannewsman Posts: 2,658 ✭✭✭
    1. A Fugio cent, as the first attempt to unite the fractious colonies into one nation.

2. An 1848 Cal. $2.5 gold piece, as a symbol of the Gold Rush wealth that spurred westward expansion.

3. A Buffalo nickel, as a reminder not to cast aside the values that make the nation strong.

Chuck
  • Options
    clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    The finest Jefferson War Nick. Jefferson, probably the premier architect of the nation on a coin that had to change to silver for war materials fighting the biggest tyrants in history.

The finest 1909-S Lincoln. Lincoln for obvious reasons and the no V.D.B. because its to presumptuous to put you initials on a coin. - Humility.

Use the rest for a chain cent as fine as you can afford.

Why would you need 100 grand?
  • Options

<< <i>I would first choose a Continental Currency dollar. This coin symbolizes the birth and vision of the nation. It is something that can be paired to a copy of the Declaration of Independence in its significance as a symbol of independence from Britain. It's importance is clear. >>

Well...not much interest, so I'll pick my winner! I think Neil expressed the greatest creativity and insight...although I think Andy and Chuck are close seconds....
    Neil- PM your mailing address. I will send you an NGC MS 66* Appalachian War nickel. If it doesn't speak to you, pass it along to someone it does!
    K

• Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Hey, not fair! I haven't had my chance.
    I was going to say the same thing Neil said.image
  • Options
    Sorry ER...I pulled the thread from page 5imageimage
    K

• Options
    Wow! What a great prize. That is a really great prize!

When I first read this I thought I would just zip out an quick answer. Then I decided to do some reading and thinking and post a better answer. Well I guess I never got around to it. You snooze, you lose! Oh, well.

Thanks for doing this Kim!
  • Options
    What comes around- goes around! My pleasure Carl...I figured there was no further interest.....sorry about that. What would have been your answer? I'm curious!
    K

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file