Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

1794 Token

Talbot Allum & Lee

This looks interesting, anyone have knowlegde of the history of this token?
Mark

Comments

• Options
    MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Careful. Looks like it could be a copy.
    Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    Talbot Allen & Lee was an import/export firm located iat 241 Pearl Street in New york City that engaged in trade with India and that area of the world. In 1794 they contracted with one of the makers of English Conder tokens. probably Peter Kempson of Birmingham, to make copper tokens for them to use in circulation here. In 1795 a second order for tokens was placed, probably with William Lutwyche of Birmingham this time. The firm failed or was dissolved a few years later and the firm sold a very large number of their tokens to the US mint who cut them down and used them for planchets to strike 1797 half cents. (At least one researcher believes that all of the C-1 1797 1/1 half cents are struck on cut down TAL tokens.

I have to agree with Andy though, I stongly suspect this token is a copy. Either that or it has been BADLY mishandled. the quality just isn't that normally seen from the english token makers of this period. I'd say it is either a copy or it has been stripped in an acid bath.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file