Home U.S. Coin Forum

Troubles photographing cameo proofs! Ike pic

I've always had trouble photographing cameo proofs. I think I might have gotten it right finally. What do you all think? Any ideas on a grade on this puppy?....Ken..
..imageimage

Comments

• Nice job Ken! Did you filter your light source? I have loads of trouble with the CAM's.
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,108 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great shot! That's got all the frost you can want, and black as night mirrors! Awesome!

You deserve a beer for all of that effort! image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Nice job Ken! Did you filter your light source? I have loads of trouble with the CAM's. ..I used one 60 watt incadesent bulb directly overhead. The coin was slightly tilted. And I put a piece of black construction paper on the front of the camera with a hole for the lens opening...Works pretty well...Ken
  • jeffnpcbjeffnpcb Posts: 1,943
    imageProof 68Dcam! Might pull a 69, but light refraction puts distraction on the reverse of an extremely nice coin!!! Have several in Dcam, as well as other coins, and they just don't look right unless they are in your hand!!! That is a nice picture!
    HEAD TUCKED AND ROLLING ALONG ENJOYING THE VIEW! [Most people I know!]

NEVER LET HIPPO MOUTH OVERLOAD HUMMINGBIRD BUTT!!!

WORK HARDER!!!!
    Millions on WELFARE depend on you!
  • Thanks for the tip Ken! I'm going to try that!
    K

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the
    moments that take our breath away.
  • shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Great photo. It's tricky finding the sweet spot on coins like that!
  • LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,362 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great shot - gets a bit trickier when you add the plastic!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko, Big Moose.
  • ccrccr Posts: 2,446
    68DCAM.

Those Ikes are pretty ruff to get a decent read with a scan too. I have a PR69DCAM PCGS 1971 - S, worked on it for almost a hour and still looked like crap. I think you did pretty good job on bring out the frost.
  • LucyBopLucyBop Posts: 14,001 ✭✭✭
    i dig that photo... no more of that browny tint..... excellent black and white contrast on that photo...
    imageBe Bop A Lula!!
    "Senorita HepKitty"
    "I want a real cool Kitty from Hepcat City, to stay in step with me" - Bill Carter
  • outstanding picture. you have it perfect.
    PCGS sets under The Thomas Collections. Modern Commemoratives @ NGC under "One Coin at a Time". USMC Active 1966 thru 1970" The real War.
  • Hi,
    I've got a similar problem. Lighting is everything. What kind of camera are you using?
    Mike
  • Camera is a Sony DSC-S85 Cybershot...Ken
  • supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
    Nice shot! You might also try this... leave the coin flat, and put the camera directly overhead. That way the coin shows up perfectly circular.

Shine the light in from a 45 degree angle. On the opposite side of the coin from the light, put a backdrop of aluminum foil -- the dull side facing the coin, not the shiny side. Vary the angle of the backdrop as needed to get the right amount of cameo contrast to show up.

The other trick is the black shield on the camera which you're already doing.
  • Nice shot Ken! I think Heritage might be in need of you. Get that Beermeister refilled yet?image
  • Jonesy, the beermeister isn't empty yet. However, I'm about to go into KClingers Tavern for a Guiness. I'll be back later....Ken
  • BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Ken, this may be a dumb question, but...
    If you use black paper with a cutout for the lens only, aren't you blocking the camera's light-meter? Or, is exposure determined through the lens in your camera?
  • Ken, this may be a dumb question, but...
    If you use black paper with a cutout for the lens only, aren't you blocking the camera's light-meter? Or, is exposure determined through the lens in your camera?

Good question. I don't know!!!!...........Ken
  • This is what my HP Scanner does to a DCAM PF. I just got a Nikon 4300 but need to find my tripod before I can get any good pics.
    myurl
    and if anyone can tell me how to glue pics into this space, I'd appreciate it cause it took me a hellofalongtime to figure this out.
  • Ken,

All said and done, the photos look great! The "luster" on the frost looks three dimensional.

Nice pictures!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file