Home U.S. Coin Forum

How PCGS Gets Past the "15 Day" guarantee Turnaround Time.

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭✭
I submitted a grouping of coins at Long Beach on Thursday the 29th at about 10:00am. I did so at the $30. per coin fee for the 15 day service. Just for fun I punched in my invoice number (3108354) to see where the coins stood. It states PCGS received my coins on 06/10. That's eleven days after they REALLY received them!
So, now I know how PCGS gets past the 15 day turnaround time. They don't start the clock until well after the coins are received. Eleven days to get them from their table at Long Beach to their offices in Newport Beach?

Dominos pizza offers a guaranteed 30 minute pizza delivery time. If they handled their business like PCGS is apparently handling theirs, It would be as if they didn't start the 30 minute clock until about 25 minutes after you called and placed your order.

peacockcoins

Comments

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I learned a similar lesson. The clock doesn't start until after the show and they unpack. That's why on future shows I'll only submit on the last possible day.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    Ah, the smell of coffee! image

Michael
  • Shocking!!! Unfair!!! Totally poor way to conduct business!!!
    LiberalMan461 is a freethinking man since he was born in 4/61!!!

I enjoy debates on politics, world affairs, pork vs chicken, and which color of M&Ms are the best!!!

AL GORE IN 2004 & 2008!!!!!

• nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    NGC does the same thing, though they seemed faster at unpacking.
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    Actually they don't offer that 30-min guarantee anymore after a Dominoes driver killed some people on a delivery run. Not very good PR.

Actually I kinda like the "automatic downgrade" they give you. If they can't make the 15-day (or 30 or whatever) guarantee then they refund the difference to you with no other compensation. People accept it too.

Kind of like business A selling a pizza for $10. Business B opens up next door and is selling pizza for the same $10. business A advertises that the pizza is "guaranteed" to be ready in 1 minute for $15 (even though they have no intentions of having it ready in 1 minute). When you get your pizza 6½ hours later, they refund your extra $5. Too late - they already stole your business away from business B.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    p.s. - Pat, can't wait to see that 50-d!

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • braddickbraddick Posts: 23,781 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Actually they don't offer that 30-min guarantee anymore after a Dominoes driver killed some people on a delivery run. Not very good PR. Actually I kinda like the "automatic downgrade" they give you. If they can't make the 15-day (or 30 or whatever) guarantee then they refund the difference to you with no other compensation. People accept it too. Kind of like business A selling a pizza for $10. Business B opens up next door and is selling pizza for the same $10. business A advertises that the pizza is "guaranteed" to be ready in 1 minute for $15 (even though they have no intentions of having it ready in 1 minute). When you get your pizza 6½ hours later, they refund your extra $5. Too late - they already stole your business away from business B. >>

I like PCGS "Guarantee" too. But 15 days is really 26 days, in my case.

And, I understand the 'unpacking' stage (I guess) but eleven days to do so? We all know the coins submitted at the show really end up in Newport Beach at the end of each show day (otherwise, where would they place them all?). I just wish PCGS would be a bit more upfront and state they are not able to keep up with the guarantee and then allow the submitter the opportunity to select either a faster service or not even worry about it and select the cheapest one.

peacockcoins

• Sounds a lot about all their "guarentee" times! These tier coin submissions are guarenteed in so many days..........less any show date times! BS!!!!

And of course "they takes" the higher fees.......without delivering on the service contracted for.

Bottom line,if the original dates to completion aren't met(and no "show" monkey business with the dating)......then the entire fee less perhaps shipping should be refunded! Otherwise any guarentee is not worth the paper it's printed on.

Truthfully, i have yet to submit to PCGS at all, though i have sent a few into NGC thru my local dealer. Any PCGS coins i buy are already slabbed........just don't want to feel "used"! image
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Which also baffles me why they need to encourage many new submissions with $25 "promotional memberships" through B&M when they can't keep up with current orders.
  • I sent a buff in around december, and just got it like a month agoimage
  • washmanwashman Posts: 35 ✭✭
    I just FEDEX a package on 6-9 and they already have emailed me that they have received my submission and that it is in process. Maybe it is not a good idea to give them coins at a large show. The last time I did that I think it was about a week before they showed my order in process.
  • Here's another kicker: Try getting any of the fee "refunded." They'll fight tooth and nail to keep the fee. They'll offer you all kinds of free regular submissions to keep you happy. Shoot, I tried to get a credit balance refunded and a customer service rep (I'm not going to post his name here) told me that it takes up to 3 months for PCGS to make a decision to cut a check. He further added that I might never get the check since I'm not technically entitled to it. HAH. We will see if it becomes necessary to file a complaint in small claims court and ask for attorneys fees.
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭

• << <i>Here's another kicker: Try getting any of the fee "refunded." They'll fight tooth and nail to keep the fee. They'll offer you all kinds of free regular submissions to keep you happy. Shoot, I tried to get a credit balance refunded and a customer service rep (I'm not going to post his name here) told me that it takes up to 3 months for PCGS to make a decision to cut a check. He further added that I might never get the check since I'm not technically entitled to it. HAH. We will see if it becomes necessary to file a complaint in small claims court and ask for attorneys fees. >>

I can not believe this!!!
    LiberalMan461 is a freethinking man since he was born in 4/61!!!

I enjoy debates on politics, world affairs, pork vs chicken, and which color of M&Ms are the best!!!

AL GORE IN 2004 & 2008!!!!!

• foodudefoodude Posts: 3,567 ✭✭✭
    Fortunately I am more a collector than a seller. Although I am curious and excited about getting the coins back form PCGS, and knowing the grade, 15 30, a few beyond that are no big deal to me.

Also fortunately, Dominos is only 2 blocks from my house.
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • clackamasclackamas Posts: 5,615
    Braddick, that sucks but PCGS has been good, IMO, on the 15 day guarantee. I had 43, yse quite a few, go 16 days and I got free grades for an additional 43 coins on 15 day service. All for a 1 day slip. That is pretty good service IMO.
  • RKKayRKKay Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭
    I called in because they were a few days late on my order, and they sent me a submsission form with 2 free submissions. That is true, not a joke.image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file