Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

How many complete sets of Dahlonega gold coins do you think are out there?

SethChandlerSethChandler Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭✭
And, what percentage of those collections do think were formed in the last 10 years?

Seth
Collecting since 1976.

Comments

• Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    I would be impressed if there were any. I can't imagine more than only a couple.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    some of the 'common' dates, especially the half eagles, are overpriced in most grades. i collect only the 'keys' of all the denominations and have multiples of a few. there have been a couple of hi grade sets around of the $5. (ed milas collection?) i remember win carner losing his tail at the stack's auction when he went overboard and bought many pieces at a substantial premium to the then market. i really don't believe that a set of $1, $ 2½, or $5 would be exceptionally difficult in xf or better. i think a couple of charlotte coins would be tuffer than any dahlonaga piece...imho.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure that there are not more than a dozen complete sets.

Dahlonega would have the best informed opinion about this.

PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had the privilige of perusing complete AU sets of Dahlonega half and quarter eagles this past weekend. I myself am working on an XF-AU set of half eagles presently (and have a very long way to go!). I would guess that there are between two and five complete Dahlonega sets, but this is just a guess. The Green Pond Collection is a complete uncirculated registry set of which I am aware. There are probably more half eagle sets than one dollar sets and more one dollar sets than quarter eagle sets based on the extant number of issues. I am going to send this query to the Dahlonega experts--perhaps they can shed some light on this question.
  • Options
    TTT, for "Dahlonega"
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    I have exchanged email with Doug Winter on the subject, and here is his reply:

"I have personally assembled around a dozen and would estimate that there are
    another dozen+."

I have also emailed this thread to board member "Dahlonega" and will await his reply and perspective, as well.
  • Options
    SWAG method 25-30 complete sets max probably no more than 20 pcgs/ngc certified ...limiting factor probably 56-D quarter eagle about 65-75 known [874 minted]...and some Dahlonega collectors have more than one. Lots of tough coins but no impossible dates very difficult to complete a set with original skin/surfaces. I have seen sets in lower grade that were aesthetically much more desirable than higher grade unmatched partially processed sets. Takes 6 to 10 years to complete a really choice set unless you get very lucky or find a nice collection to upgrade.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    Would guess that 1/3 of the collections were formed in the past 10 years...again SWAG method employed. Addendum suspect there are less than 9,000 Dahlonega coins of all dates and denominations extant interesting to compare this number to select 20th century keys.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    Error about 35 56-D QE known multiple other keys less than 75 known. Will revise my estimate of complete sets to 15-20 certified less than 10 uncertified...therefore probably about 25 complete sets? Scientifically determined with the SWAG method.
    Collect for enjoyment
  • Options
    pmh1nicpmh1nic Posts: 3,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Follow-up question. How many MS sets of Dahlonega coins are possible? If my memory serves me correctly I think there are multiple mint state examples of each Dahlonega issue so theoretically it should be possible.
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    HigashiyamaHigashiyama Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could someone explain "SWAG"?
    Higashiyama
  • Options
    Scientific Wild Ass Guess - I use that method often.
  • Options
    JulianJulian Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭
    As for really mint condition complete sets, I would estimate that there are less than 5, maybe only 2.
    PNG member, numismatic dealer since 1965. Operates a retail store, also has exhibited at over 1000 shows.
    I firmly believe in numismatics as the world's greatest hobby, but recognize that this is a luxury and without collectors, we can all spend/melt our collections/inventories.

eBaystore
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    When you talk about complete sets, does that mean G$1, $2 1/2, & $5? Thus someone would have to have all Dahlonega minted coins to qualify? Wow, I had no idea there were that many complete sets.

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    I would also include the 1854-D $3 in the complete set.

I would try to get the 1856-D QE first, if I were planning an assault on that set. I guess you could say that about the keys of a lot of sets. (Disclosure: I have one Dahlonega QE, 1848, sold to me by "Dahlonega" and have no intention of building the set.)
  • Options
    Yep, the 1854-D Three Dollar should be included. But it's an easy one, although expensive. Its overrated. Its one of my favorite coins.

Seth
    Collecting since 1976.
  • Options
    Per Doug Winter's last book on Dahlonega, upwards of 95 54-D $3's out there. Trends $18,000 for EF-40, $35,000 for AU-50, and $55,000 for AU-55. The 56-D $2.50, with 35 extant, seems to be a much better deal at $11,000, $25,000, and $35,000, respectively. (Not that I am in any danger of buying either coin in the forseeable future!)

Edited to say...if someone offered me an original 56-D QE EF-40 for Trends, I would find a way to buy it (hint, hint)
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen one complete set of Dahlonega coins. Betcha can't guess where.

Bet you can't guess where I saw the set of Charlotte coins, either. image

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    As to MS sets of Dahlonega it is impossible to assemble one since the 42-D quarter eagle is unknown in MS. The Duke's Creek and Green Pond collections have all mint state coins including the $3 except for that 42-D qtr eagle. The Green Pond Collection does have the only graded MS 42-D large date half eagle but the one in the Duke's Creek collection is comparable to that coin.
  • Options
    Joshua

Doug Winter says no MS 42-D Quarter Eagles but NGC says one. Who do we trust image?
    The longer I live the more convincing proofs I see of this truth, that God governs in the affairs of men. And if a sparrow cannot fall to the ground without His notice is it possible for an empire to rise without His aid? Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    Doug Winter's book on Dahlonega coinage was published in 1997 and a new book on the topic is expected this summer. Some tidbits with updated information are included in the enclosed article.

Which Dahlonega Coins Are Really Rare

The likely explanation for the 42-D QE question is that either one or more new uncirculated coins surfaced for grading since 1997 or that previously graded coins in AU were upgraded to UNC.

In the matter of in whom do I "trust?" Doug Winter and board member, "Dahlonega", are unquestionably the last word on any issue regarding Dahlonega coinage.

• Options
    RKY

Thanks for the additional information. I've enjoyed Doug Winter's books on branch mint coins and he gave me some assistance in writing my Coin World article on the two varieties of 1845-D Half Eagle. I'm confident his has the most up to date information on the subject of southern branch mint coins.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file