Home U.S. Coin Forum

Need your help guys

Im doing research on coins that were illegally struck by mint employees either to satisfy a whim or create a rarity. I already know the obvious ones ie. 1913 v nickel, can you guys think of any other ones that were minted this way? Thanks

Comments

• NumisEdNumisEd Posts: 1,336
    The first one that comes to mind immediately is the $1.25 coin: Sacagawea and State Quarter mule. There are several extant now, and I believe that they sold for $50,000 to $100,000 (approx.). I believe one guy out in Arizona has been buying these things. They are, imo, the illegal product as made by a mint employee. It is impossible to put a quarter obverse and a dollar reverse in a press without knowing what you are doing. If this is a legitimate mint error, then the mint should have daily I.Q. testing and hourly drug testing.
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    There are countless coins from the 1800's that were restruck. Some of those were made so the Mint could trade them to collectors in return for coins that the Mint wanted for its own collection.

I wonder if the 1884 and 1885 Trade dollars also were "made to order".

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is currently believed that the 1884's were struck in the normal course of mint business and then all but 10 melted when official plans to market them were rescinded. The 1885's were undoubtably "made to order", however, there was nothing illegal about their creation. The trade dollar itself was still authorized and proofs were treated as medals, not as coinage.
    TDN, I never meant to imply they were illegal! image I somehow missed the part of the rd5425's original post that said "illegally struck"

Another one that comes to mind is the dozen 2000-W gold Sacagawea dollars that went up in the space shuttle. Info here.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,162 ✭✭✭✭✭
    struck "illegitimately" might be a better choice of terminology! image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    How about the 1959 wheatback Cent.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• MrEurekaMrEureka Posts: 24,196 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Grab a copy of the Judd book. About two thirds of the 2000+ coins listed were unauthorized, if not illegal.

Andy Lustig

Doggedly collecting coins of the Central American Republic.

Visit the Society of US Pattern Collectors at USPatterns.com.
  • ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,214 ✭✭✭✭✭
    not sure if this counts...but if you do your history research from the 1850's time frame you will see that mint employees used mint equipment etc to strike various medals etc...
    Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
    Bump.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file