Home U.S. Coin Forum

Cost of a show

Hopefully this will not cause a Flame Out War.
How may collectors would attend a show if they had to pay the same amount to be there as most dealers do?
Roughly $250-$1000 or more per show, just wondering. image

Dave
Love those toned Washingtons

Comments

• RussRuss Posts: 48,514 ✭✭✭
    If I knew I'd be raking in obscene profits like all coin dealers do, I'd pay it.

Russ, NCNE
  • I'm afraid I would have to pass if I had to pay that kind of fee to attend. image
    currently owned by 5 Labradors

Blaze - Yellow male b 3/17/93
    Onyx - Black male b 3/7/99
    Duchess - Yellow female mix b 3/12/02 rescued 9/18/02
    Rifle - Yellow male mix b 12/1/02 rescued 8/8/03
    Diamond - Black female b 5/3/05 adopted 8/3/05

First Cam-slam - 9/21/04

My eBay
  • Russ, i'm afraid i'd have to argue (all) dealers make obscene profits. If they did i would be fulltime! image
    JMHO

Dave
    No, no, it's true. That's why they're all rich.

Russ, NCNE
  • stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>If I knew I'd be raking in obscene profits like all coin dealers do, I'd pay it. >>

There you go.... to help get it going a little more , the dealers make that 250.00-1000.00 off the quick flip of one coin.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • ERER Posts: 7,345
    What 's the cost to attend a show, anyway? ( for us collectors, that is )
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Russ forgot the smiley! image

My guess is that no one would pay that kind of fee to get into a show, not even the world's greatest cherrypickers, primarily because no dealers would attend such a show knowing how few (if any) people would attend!

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

• goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Dave,
    I get ticked when I have to pay $4 to attend the Cleveland show.
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    For me to attend and setup at a show it costs $500 for the table (average), $325 for airfare (average), $300 for a hotel (average) and $150 for meals. there are other smaller expenses like parking at the airport $50-75, phone calls to wife and kids, etc.

so it looks like roughly $1300-$1400 just to show up and sell some coins.
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If I knew I'd be raking in obscene profits like all coin dealers do, I'd pay it. >>

Have to agree with that. image It ain't the same ballgame!
  • nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,386 ✭✭✭
    It's also a cost of doing business that gets passed onto the coin show attendees anyway.
  • LincolnCentManLincolnCentMan Posts: 5,347 ✭✭✭✭
    I'd pay it if I could bye a (Russ) flee market quality toned dollar for a hundred bucks. lol

David
  • John, i don't blame you for getting upset when you have to pay admission fees to go into a show, i have payed the fee for several customers by knocking off $5 on coins they purchased from me and i tell them i'm doing that, i believe it will help to generate good will and also intice them to become repeat customers. image You sure can't do that on a $20 coin though!

Dave
  • goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    I'll let you knock 5.00 off of the next 2.00 coin I buy from you!image
  • Thaks, That WILL help the bottom line! image

Dave

<< <i>it costs $500 for the table (average) >>

Go to smaller shows.

<< <i>$325 for airfare (average) >>

Drive.

<< <i>$300 for a hotel (average) >>

Pack a tent.

<< <i>and $150 for meals. >>

Eat at McDonald's.

<< <i>parking at the airport $50-75 >>

See answer to airfare costs.

<< <i>phone calls to wife and kids, etc. >>

Okay, I'm not completely coldhearted, so I'll give you that one.

Russ, NCNE
    gee russ thanks!

heck Long Beach is even more expensive with the $50 cab ride to the airport each way!

you are a funny guy russ image
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ...but you get to go to LAX, so it's worth it image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

<< <i>heck Long Beach is even more expensive with the $50 cab ride to the airport each way! >>

Take the Bus.
    the bus image
  • MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭
    But haw much business gets done before the collectors show up? How many coins change hands between dealers? How many dealers go to shows for exposure? There are a lot more reasons that dealers go to shows, sure selling coins is one of them. But I think one of the biggest reasons is to buy/sell/trade with other dealers!
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,065 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its hard to imagine any "valid" reason why an attendee should be expected to shell out $250 or more to attend a show.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • We are having our annual coin club show in Greenville, Tx. on June 21st. Approx. 40 tables. with back ups, 6' isles. The cost of a table is $50.00, we DO NOT charge the public to see the show. There is no parking charge. Just a few thoughts.
    Dennis

My Dimes

<< If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right the first time! >>
  • krankykranky Posts: 8,709 ✭✭✭
    Agree with MadMarty about dealers doing shows primarily for dealer-to-dealer business. I have been to shows where a dealer takes a table, puts three slabs in a display case, and is never seen again. He's out on the floor buying and selling with other dealers.

goose3 wrote:

<< <i>I get ticked when I have to pay $4 to attend the Cleveland show. >>

$4? I had to pay $5! Forgot to bring the #@&amp;$ postcard.

New collectors, please educate yourself before spending money on coins; there are people who believe that using numismatic knowledge to rip the naïve is what this hobby is all about.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file