Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

More lint on Proof Coins?

This is the "Corps of Discovery" exclamation point after the discovery "discovery" - or I thought they had gotten rid of the lint on proof coins by now?

The coin is a PCGS PR69DCAM Missouri State Quarter (2003) for you non-SQ folks.

Exclamation Mark Lint
Maurice
Lurking with intent to loom

Comments

• Options
    I just got some coins back from NGC. Several of them have lots of tiny pieces of lint on them. So now i have to send back to reholder.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options
    I can't tell for sure if it's lint or was struck into the coin - i.e. lint on the die.

Maybe someone has an idea on how to tell for sure.
    Maurice
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Quit your whining! image

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    BONUS FINGERPRINTS!

Did you cherrypick that puppy?image
    Maurice
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Actually many Proofs of the pre-1917 era had lint marks on them, places where there was lint on the die when the coin was struck.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    DHeath... are you serious, you got a modern proof set with prints like that?
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Yes, and it was in a sealed box of 25 sets still in the original box, with blue strapping tape and original post marks. It was dead smack in the middle of a few gem sets. The set is still sealed.

Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I guess they have good quality control huh? If you ever want to get rid of it please think of me.image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    i call them worms
    usually on a freshly polished new die they have them the worms

but for me

they are link marks worms if the lint from the cloth remained on the die after polishing and then the impression of the lint was struck into the,

coin sothe lint looks incuse on the coin this to me are link marks or as i call them worms.........lol

i have seen many a monster deep cameo monsta! perfect proof coins silver nickel proof coins pre 1915 especially pre 1902 that are 100% fully struck in proof where usually they are weak even in proof and the coinsall have these worms!!

sincerely michael
  • Options
    for me if the lint is sitting on top of the coin and can be blown off the coin then it is not a lint mark to me as it didnot mark the coin only sits on top of the coin and so the mint or anyone can put this on a coin

now a true lintmark, worm that sat on the polished die and was then struck into the die and is now an incuse mark of the lint that is the real deal so to speak

sincerely michael

• Options
    oh and that state quarter is really a good looking coin with that reverse design

i think it will be popular and cross collectible with many

sincerely michael

oh and do all the state quarters come deep cameo? i would assume so?? and also any state quarter that is not cameo to me would be a rarity?????

as myself i heve never examined a proof state quarter in person sight seen

sincerely michael

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file