Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2-questions, 2-"conserve" or not 2-"conserve"

OK,

1. I have an 1872 - $2.50 Quarter Eagle that I picked-up at an estate auction where it was mislisted as a $1.00 gold (so I actually purchased it for $1 gold meltvalue!). I want to get it slabbed but it has what appears to be a couple small flakes of black paint on it. Could/should I dip it in acetone and try to remove the paint? Will doing this affect the grade? Oh, and yes, it has been authenticated.

2. I have an 1866 unc. shield nickel that has developed pvc (almost the shade of grass, lawn not the other) damage on the edge, can I dip it in acetone to remove the pvc damage? And, will doing this affect the grade?

Thanks, Jim

Comments

• Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Acetone will definitely remove the PVC. No idea if it takes care of paint, though.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Acetone will not harm the coins so you can always try it. I think acetone will take care of the paint. But if you're concerned you can send both through NCS. May even be better as they can take care of problems you may not have noticed yet.
  • Options
    Listen to NWCS - thats good advice.
    Singapore
  • Options
    Acetone is an excellent paint thinner, so it should remove paint...Ken
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LMAO, I thought acetone was used for paint? I wonder if jewel luster will clean jewelry?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah, that's right. I've only used Acetone on coins. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    I'd sure send the coin to NCS were it mine, but I am curious why anyone would use black paint on that coin, and what lies beneath it.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file