Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Envelope toned 1880 S-1 Indian cent

shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
I've always wanted one of these R6 double-varieties in mint state, and finally found one on Ebay in a deceptive BN slab. The obverse DDO is minor and requires a microscope to appreciate, but the off center reverse clash makes up for it. The denticles and ICA of AMERICA from the obverse made quite an impact, even on the "E" of ONE which was incuse on the die. About 60% off center, the mystery of how these were made is half the attraction. One die must have fallen on the other to make this strong and offset an impression(?).

Obverse die position when it clashed

(obverse)

Comments

• Options
    rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    That is one of the coolest clashes I have EVER seen!
    -Ryan-
  • Options
    tjkilliantjkillian Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭
    Wow, that is NICE. Very cool die clash. Congratulations!

Tom
    Tom

• Options
    Who says you can't find neat stuff on eBay? That is really something! Great eye appeal along with great interest. Nice.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is a great example! Congrats. I especially love the illustration of how the clash aligns. Thanks for providing it. You should add that to the "How many are there" portion of the Fly-In club's web page for this variety.
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    NICE coin, I like it!!!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    ldhairldhair Posts: 7,178 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang shylock yours makes mine look really weak.

Larry

• Options
    BigMooseBigMoose Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭
    Shylock, terrific buy!! I see no visible reason why it isn't in a 65 holder, maybe RB. Do you plan to crackout/resubmit this one?
    TomT-1794

Check out some of my 1794 Large Cents on www.coingallery.org
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    REALLY COOL!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    Tom - the weak shield and spot on each side (reverse rim at 4 o'clock, obverse above "F" of OF) make me satisfied with the 64 grade, but it does look RB. On a variety like this I'm more concerned with the definition/condition of the clash, which is very good, than the rest of the coin. In that respect Lakesammman's is the only one I know of that I'd upgrade it with.

Idhair - Knowing your cherrypicking abilities, I'd guess mine cost me about 98% more than yours.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Shylock:

For the right price, you can have mine!image
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,762 ✭✭✭✭
    Now THAT'S a cool coin to have in your collection. I'm very jealous!

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    wow wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i like coins lots there are always new discoveries

fantastic thread and visuals

sincerely michael
  • Options
    nuckleheadnucklehead Posts: 1,500
    Strong clash image,looks great.
    Friends are Gods way of apologizing for your relatives.
  • Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    This seller has had some really neat IHC's for sell in the past, his imaging has been so poor. Paul you should offer your paid services to him for his listings. I have always hesitated to buy from him because of his pictures. You did a great job on this one.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file