Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

United States Uf? 1877s dime?

image Now that I have reached the home of the experts, can someone explain to me why the "o" in "of" looks more like a "U". Grease-filled die?
This one I found about 8 years ago during a street construction project. Only coin found during a 3 hour search. And, yes it came out of the ground looking like this and has not been cleaned in any way (other than a soak in warm, soapy water.) Link to seated dime.
I don't grade "em:
I just find 'em.

Comments

• Options
    Sorry, would love to help. But, the scan you have included is too small to see any detail of the lettering.
    Go well.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    It's a weak strike.
    From Greer's Seated Dime Book:
    "Usually weak at Liberty's head and on the reverse rims. Example grading F-VF on the obverse may not always have full rims..."
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    The scan isn't clear enough but another possiblity is a hub break. the letter on the hub that created the die sometimes breaks away. This is commonly seen on the reverses of shield nickels, the top of the D in United on two cent pieces and several different seated liberty coins. i don't know if a hub break on the O in OF is known or not.
  • Options
    Sorry for the poor image. How about this view.
    I don't grade "em:
    I just find 'em.
  • Options
    Conder101Conder101 Posts: 10,536
    I'd say it looks like a broken hub. I don't have a copy of Ahwash or Greer here so I can't do a good search for infomation. Does anyone else here have copies of those books they can check?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file