Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Amazing toned morgan

what do you think about this morgan? The pic is just a scan, so the dark orange is really more orange-gold with red in real life, but the picture is otherwise accurate.

Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Looks very yummy! Congratulations! image
  • Options
    I was wondering, does it seem AT'ed or is it natural (i have no idea)?
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    Very hard to make out from your pic, but has the look and telltale signs of an AT'd coin.

dragon
  • Options
    what are the telltale signs (sorry but im a newbie in the field of toning)
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    Reverse?
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    the reverse is untoned
  • Options
    dragondragon Posts: 4,548 ✭✭
    carter,

Those colors of deep gold and that slightly flourescent gunmetal blue/green on the high points are typical colors that show up on AT'd pieces, as well as the way the color sits on that coin and around the periphery and deep recesses especially. It also looks to have severe rim damage of some type from your pic.

dragon
  • Options
    Thanks for the help (good thing i got this for only $13). The "severe rim damage" that you speak of is probably just the light reflecting off the mylar as I see very little damage on the actual coin.
  • Options
    While I respect my learned colleague Dragon a great deal, I dissagree on this one. First of all, I don't think the picture does justice to the coin, and I don't think these are the actual colors of the coin. If they are, then you're absolutely right. However, if you look at the rims, they appear to be gunmetal grey while the surrounding toning is gold in color. The toning around the hair is interspersed very intricately between blue and gold - this would be qute a feat for your average coin doc. There's a hint of transluscense in the coloring which you see in genuinely toned coins. The stars, particularly on the left hand side of the coin, are of a different color than their background. As such, and for $13 bucks - I'd be on that bad girl like stink on a monkey! image

IMHO image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345
    Carter,
    Nice coin. I 'll pay you $14.image
  • Options

<< <i>Nice coin. I 'll pay you $14. image >>

ER - you capitalist pigdog you! image
  • Options
    ERER Posts: 7,345

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice coin. I 'll pay you $14. image >>

ER - you capitalist pigdog you! image >>

What? Me? I do not understand.image
  • Options
    Now - mind you that coming from a dog, being a pigdog is not a bad thing! image
  • Options
    Dog97Dog97 Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭
    I'll go with AT also. Dark orange with blue isn't natural or original. The whole coin was toned quickly without any progression of colors that would show from developing over a long period of time.
    Someone can probably find one like it on eBay lit up with trick lighting like a radioactive Christmas tree and in a slab but it's still AT.
    Change that we can believe in is that change which is 90% silver.
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    carterhaines,

If you'll enable your PM function, I'd like to talk to you about the coin. Thanks. image

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That funky blue again. They'll probably give it the coveted star if sent to the right (or wrong) service.
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    okay russ, its enabled
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Hey Frank,

wazzup?

Would you reconsider the authenticity of the toning based on:

The peripheral colors are also present on the central device. How did it go from (you said gunmetal) but I'm going to say bluish periphery to whatever to back to blue. Just don't seem natural to me WITHOUT a convincing argument. image
    Gilbert

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file