Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

coin marks

Can a mark that was left on a coin because it was in a holder be removed? I have some real nice Frankies that left a small mark on the ridge on a couple of them. Thank you.
Ed
eddye_2001

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Ed - what kind of mark are you referring to - toning, or actual damage to the coin? A picture would help.

Frank
  • Options
    pic will be coming soon, I want some of you experts to look at these Frankies and tell me what you think, Thanks.
    Ed
    eddye_2001
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    eddye,

My first correspondence with you: Howdy, and welcome aboard. You will be able to helped a whole lot better, and with less frustration, if you try to bone up on a few commonly used numismatic (coin) terms.

I'm going to assume that you are talking about the "rim" on the coin, but, I can't visualize (well I can conjure up a bunch of images) what you may mean by "mark" and what kind of holder was it in that it left a mark?

Options: slab, 2x2 cardboard holder, plastic flip, hard plastic holder or various others. Is it a ding, scuff, scratch, etc. Hopefully, you can get an idea that for the most appropriate and helpful answer, we have to know we are talking about the same thing. Good luck.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Thanks Gilbert. Can you tell i'm a rookie or a newbie as we used it in Nam? Anyways, I inherited a coin -collection from my dad. It has some real nice franklin halves in it. Some of them were stored in a cardboard holder with 4 staples on the outside and plastic in the center. When I took them out, I noticed that it left a small colored mark on the edge. Could it be from the metal in the staple? And can the mark be taken out? Thank you so much.

Ed
    eddye_2001
  • Options
    If it is only "color" I would leave it as is, but, yes, color can be removed -- most times to the detriment of the coin.

If it is a dark black like spot, it is more than likely a carbon spot, the result of some impurity remaining in or one the coins surface. If imbedded removal would leave a pit; if its on the surface, it will continue to contaminate and should be professionally (or carefully) removed, preferably with a blast of compressed AIR used in a manner that only the AIR contacts the coin's surface.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    Thanks Gilbert. Does a dark spot reduce the price dramatically? Thanks for all your help?
    Ed
    eddye_2001
  • Options
    Cam40Cam40 Posts: 8,146
    I,m guessing the rim color is toning due to some tiny hole in the thin mylar(your calling it plastic,its not actually)
    where the outside air was in contact with the rim, or air got in from the sides of the holder and developed the color that way.Either way the toning ,if that is what it is and not black carbon spotting, should not lower the value of the coin.
    In alot of cases the color, if fairly eye-appealing,will increase the value but maybe not a whole lot since its just alittle rim toning.

• Options
    eddye,

"Does a dark spot reduce the price dramatically?"

The short answer is - it depends. If the coin is readily available without spots, then maybe. If the coin is usually found with "issues" probably not. It's all relative.

I'm sure that may evoke another question, so, GET THE IMAGE UP! image
    Gilbert

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file