Home U.S. Coin Forum

Are There Any Morgan Years That Do Not Come Rainbow Toned?

braddickbraddick Posts: 23,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
I don't believe I've seen nor heard of a 1893-S with rainbow colors or bag color. Are there other years that are either impossible to locate or nearly so?
I know the 84-O; 80-S, and 81-S are the most common.
Which Morgan years are the most difficult to locate with that stunning, rainbow color?
1921's? Others?

peacockcoins

Comments

• WWWWWW Posts: 2,609 ✭✭✭
    1878 CC's are fairly tough to come by with true rainbow toning.
  • FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    89 P is supposedly a tough date to get in nicely toned condition - I sent one to GSAGUY and even he didn't have one.

Frank
  • FrattLawFrattLaw Posts: 3,290 ✭✭
    I'm no Morgan expert, but I think the 1921s are very difficult to find with nice rainbow colors, or really any pretty attractive toning for that matter.

Strat has a couple of really nice 1921s with color. I have 3 1921-Ps but none are high grade or monster colors, but they do have nice color.

Michael
  • jomjom Posts: 3,437 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Are There Any Morgan Years That Do Not Come Rainbow Toned? >>

Not if you have a good supply of chemicals and an Easy Bake Oven. image

jom
  • rwhiterwhite Posts: 326
    Yeah.. there are lots of dates that are tough.. 81-o, 88-s, 91-o, 93-s, 01-s, 21 and about 4 dozen others!
    -Ryan-
  • My 93-S (NGC F-12) has some real nice blue toning in the legends and other areas...but not real bold and not rainbowish...
  • TONEDDOLLARSTONEDDOLLARS Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭✭
    I truely hope not. I am building a date and mint set of nicely toned Morgans. I need 26 dates out of a possible 107. I have some of the dates mentioned that are tuff. 81-o, 89, 21, 91-o etc. I do not however have a 93-s as of yet. I did see one in someones collection a 64 I think that wonderful color, way out of my league.
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Braddick,

I think that's a tough question. Why? Just consider how silver coins usually acquire what I think you and I can agree would be natural rainbow toning.

Storing in WR albums OR long-term storage in mint bags. I'm not saying these are the only methods, but, if we consider most of the outstanding but "naturally" toned coins ocurred accidentally under these circumstance.

History tells us that not a great many folks were willing to sock away a whole buck for collecting (and most other denoms were from pocket change), the greatest iridescence seems (to me anyway) to present on coins with mirrored fields (another limiting factor), and of course comes the artificial v natural debate.

What am I saying. I think it would be extremely tough to find most dates in significant numbers UNLESS

they came from collections stored in WR or maybe velvet-lined cabinets (and not polished of course) OR dates that the Mint vaulted and forgot about -- again I'm talking about "rainbow toned" coins that were a surprise to the owner. Now that is a new definition of "naturally toned." image
    Gilbert
  • baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    I just checked Ebay and all 50 Billion Morgans are accounted for - all with rainbow tones, 90% of those defined as "monsters". The definition of "monster" being that it has a black tarnish spot on it.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    Here is a 21 D in pcgs ms65 with toning.

I have heard 89cc's are hard to find with ATTRACTIVE toning.

• topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. They were all originally toned by the mint so they would be pretty. If you have an untoned Morgan dollar, it is either counterfeit or whizzed.

• ArtRArtR Posts: 474 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Are There Any Morgan Years That Do Not Come Rainbow Toned? >>

Yes! As true rainbow toning (Stripes) can only come from being stored in Mint Bags for many years, and there are dates in the Morgan series that were never held in Bag quantities.
    If It doesn't have great eye appeal, I don't want it.
  • relayerrelayer Posts: 10,570

I haven't found a 1921-D. I'm looking for a more colorful one than jb posted (even though I'm starting to think that's nice)
    My posts viewed image times
    since 8/1/6
  • jbstevenjbsteven Posts: 6,178
    see link below to store image
  • K6AZK6AZ Posts: 9,295
    As ArtR said, if you are talking the true definition of a rainbow, and that is a banded rainbow, there are a whole lot of dates you will never see with a true rainbow, because they did not survive in bag quantities after the 270 million were melted during 1917-1919. Almost entire mintages of certain dates were lost, such as the 1901, 1903-S, and 1904-S.
  • GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    My goodness,

Three (at least) professed Morgan afficianados are in relative agreement on a topic as sticky as "toned" Morgans. There is a God in heaven. image

BTW

ArtR - verrry nice to see you around again. Now if I could just work out something with you for a "purdy" 1878. image
    Gilbert

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file