Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Are there any long time collectors suprised at the coins that have done well versus the ones that ha

I sometimes marvel at how some coins and some series have done and scratch my head as to the lack of movement in other series that are still near or at 13 year lows.

If someone had told me 5 years ago that early lincolns or high grade peace dollars could make me rich, while seated and barber coins would go nowhere except down I would have laughed. But it seams that the only people laughing at that statement just sold coins like this for enough money to retire !!!

Lets see, would i have chosen Proof Buffalo Nickels, no, how about high grade peace dollars ?, no, Early proof red lincolns, no, Early mint state lincolns ? possibly, but not with the excpectation of getting bid to go up and then getting 20 x bid like the 12 S penny just did.

I guess i'm still shaking my head at some of the series that have done so well.

How many of you saw this coming ?
The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.

Comments

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There aren't a lot of surprises to me. I'd have expected rare date and high grade Morgans
    to do a little better. I'd have predicted a lot more interest in obsolete denominations, espec-
    ially in low grades. I'd have expected circulated moderns to have a small but active market
    by now.

Roosys are doing better than I'd have expected, especially the silvers. High grade clad proof,
    early Lincolns in high grade, and modern bullion are all doing a little better than I'd have pre-
    dicted.

Otherwise very few surprises.

Everyone is likely to be surprised by events of the next few years. Changes will start coming
    faster now and they will add up to shifts in the market and hobby that are barely predictable
    at the current time.
    Tempus fugit.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file