Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

"Mint Sealed Boxes" Question

When one buys silver or gold American Eagles, and they are said to come to in "mint sealed boxes," are those good enough to keep the bullion stored and protected from the elements? In other words, would I have to take extra storage steps to keep the air off the metal, or does "mint sealed" accomplish that?

I am not familiar with how Eagles would come, tube or box, and if they are as air-tight as I would need them to be.

Thanks in advance!

- FF
24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe it generally refers to the mint sealed shipping carton. Up until a couple of years ago if you ordered 5 proof silver eagles they would arrive compactly and nicely packaged in a box designed to fit. Now some imbecile just throws them willy nilly into a box and puts a bag o' air over em. Last 2003 ASE proofs I got wunna the COA's was layin loose in the shipping box. A sign a the times? Most likely!!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    The mint packages are just carboard and should be stored in an airtight container with a desiccant. If you don't mide opening them, I would suggest removing the coins from the packaging, placing each in a small plastic bag (to avoid scratching the plastic capsules) and then placing them in an airtight container.
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    Coin FinderCoin Finder Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey FF long time no see. Good to hear from you. The mint "sealed" eagels would require additional storage methods for long term storage. I have seen some dealers use seal a meal bags to keep the air out. Silica Gel is good also to remove moisture if you have them in a damp place or in a fire safe. The coin tubes these coins come in from the mint if you buy in bulk are nice, but may require additional sealing like wax arount the cracks to keep them air tight.
    I am sure there are other methods.

Regards,

Tbig
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,456 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe the really big boxes (5000?) come in sealed tubes inside the packaging.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,021 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A green monster box has 500 coins, 25 tubes of 20 coins each. Looks like the plastic boxes are strapped shut and likely have a seal from the mint on the straps. I wouldn't guess that there is a need for further protection but I wouldn't store them in a careless manner.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    Tbig -- ditto, bud!

Thanks for the comments, friends.

::salute::
    24HourForums.com - load images, create albums, place ads, talk coins, enjoy the community.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file