Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

First post - to slab or not to slab

Popped a 1892s Barber dime a couple of weeks ago that I am not sure what to do with. Already have one and am thinking about peddling the new find. Question for those in the know. How often do dug coins get body bagged by the grading services? If this was your coin, who would you send it to (or would you try to peddle it without slabbing? image

Link to 1892 s dime
I don't grade "em:
I just find 'em.

Comments

• Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    I think that would be body bagged. Looks cleaned, and that ding at the top. Either would seal it's destination in a BB.
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    Welcome detectorhead.

I opt for "not to slab."
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard. You might bring it up on the Metal Detecting Forum too.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards

If it were mine and I was choosing to sell slabbed (maybe or probably not) or raw, then I would sell as a raw coin with a notation that it was a detector find.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Detectorhead:
    Welcome. I would recommend not slabbing it. The rim dings and bumps would prevent it from being graded by PCGS/NGC. If you are intent, then send it to ANACS and they will grade it : ( EF net VF30-damaged.). But, hey, as said in the Barber thread, you found it with your metal detector. Its free, so enjoy the coin all the more!

Brian.
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great find from an Ex: metal detector hobbyist.

But as far as slabbing, dont waste the money. 95% of the coins recovered from the ground will not grade at the major grading services. I wouldnt even waste getting it net graded, unless you incovered an extremely rare piece.

It has been a couple of years since my detector was stolen out of my car during an outing, so I have not returned to detecting. I still have my artificacts that I found during those years along with several neat coins found, but they are in a display case of "DUG" finds. The dug coins are not part of my "coin collection" but are kept with the artifacts. These usually have to be cleaned up some. (The large cents were cleaned up using olive oil, silver coins washed off with soap, or whatever it takes, just to make them look presentable for display)

• Options
    Welcome to the forums Detectorhead!!image
    Glenn
  • Options
    itsnotjustmeitsnotjustme Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭
    p.s. Welcome to the forums. I detected extensively as a kid--never found any Barber coinage. But did find a 1723 Woods Hibernia half cent!
    Give Blood (Red Bags) & Platelets (Yellow Bags)!
  • Options
    image Thanks guys; will list it as a raw dug coin if I decide to let go of it. Am torn emotionally, this one has a distinct s/s mintmark; my first found 1892s does not. Decisions, decisions; are they the same or are they different?

I don't grade "em:
    I just find 'em.
  • Options
    coinlieutenantcoinlieutenant Posts: 9,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums.

Probably would be bodybagged. Great date coin however.

Truthfully, I like my circ barbers in a Dansco album rather than slabs. I love being able to compare them easily and look for nuances between the dates. In fact, I cracked my 1892-S barber dime OUT of a PCGS F12 slab to put it into my dansco album!!

John

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file