Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Some images of today's coin show new purchases (hi Stman.:-)

RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
First off, I think I am going to strangle the next dealer who tells me "I have lots of 1964 proof sets back at the shop". Geez, I see the same guys at every one of these shows and ask the same question every time.

Anyway, I hit the Tacoma Dome show today. The usual card collector crap in half the space with the announcer blaring every five minutes about some player signing autographs, BUT there were a couple VERY cool coins I got to drool on today.

One dealer had a PCGS MS66 High Relief Saint. Damn! It was so beautiful, it looked fake! Another dealer had an EF40 Fugio that had the smoothest, chocolatiest, creamiest looking planchet I've ever seen on one of these. Stunning. And, there was even an MS66 HR Peace dollar. Some unusually tasty stuff for this show.

After I got back to reality, (and my affordable price range), I managed to scrounge around and pick up a few cheap toners, some Morgans, Jeffersons, Lincolns and even a Frankie. Here's some of them.

1885 Morgan:

Large Images here:

Click for large obverse image.

Click for large reverse image.

1885-O Morgan:

Large images here:

1886 Morgan:

Large images here:

Now, I'm pretty certain about the toning on the 1885-O and the 1886. Looks like the real deal to me, but if I'm wrong feel free to say so. You won't hurt my feelings.

However, I'm less certain about the 1885, so I did a very close shot that better shows the color transition:

Opinions on that one?

And here are a couple of the Jeffs I picked up:

And a couple very wild Lincolns:

And, last but not least, a little something for you Frankie lovers:

1963-D Frankie:

Large images here:

Click here for large obverse image.

Click here for large reverse image.

None of this material grades all that high, but it was cheap and fun to find.

Enjoy. image

Russ, NCNE

Comments

• Options
    stmanstman Posts: 11,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey Dude.... I just come back on and I see a Russ thread with new coins from a show that says "hi stman"
    so I can only assume this was because in the past I have felt and still feel some of your previous ones were bad coins even though the service of choice slabbed some?image
    Please... Save The Stories, Just Answer My Questions, And Tell Me How Much!!!!!
  • Options
    RussRuss Posts: 48,515 ✭✭✭
    Stman,

Nope, it's because you hate the term "newps". Note that I didn't use it.

Russ, NCNE
  • Options
    Hey that's great. Yeah I hate that word. BTW.... before I even seen what you wrote I feel the 85 is a questionable coin. And thanks for the consideration of not using that word.... N... uh can't do it.
  • Options
    wingedlibertywingedliberty Posts: 4,805 ✭✭
    Very well done Russ, I love the 86.

Brian.
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Good catches as usual Russ - you're getting real good at this! - Even gotcha a Frankie - I'm proud of you! image
  • Options
    Dave99BDave99B Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ....I hate you! You beat me too all the good material in Tacoma......next time I'm going Friday night.

Dave
    Always looking for original, better date VF20-VF35 Barber quarters and halves, and a quality beer.
  • Options
    ksteelheaderksteelheader Posts: 11,777
    Nice coins Russ. You are finding some great Lincolns...Ken
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Russ, nice coins and excellent photography!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    Looks like some great coins. The toning on the Morgans looks real to me. That purple Lincoln reminds me of your other one.
  • Options
    I really like that 1938-S Jefferson. It seems pretty well preserved.

If anybody thinks that 1885 is AT please say why. I would like to be more confident in identifying AT coins. One thing I looked for is different color on and very close to the lettering. This one looks "real" to my untrained eye.
  • Options
    Looks like you scored more goals with these coins than the Anaheim Ducks did taking down NJ in last night's game. 2 Champion teams in Anaheim!!!

Great coins!!!
    Constellatio Collector sevenoften@hotmail.com
    ---------------------------------
    "No Good Deed Goes Unpunished!"
    "If it don't make $"
    "It don't make cents""
  • Options
    Hi Russ, I like the 85-O and the 78-s Lincoln proof!image
    In an insane society, a sane person will appear to be insane.
  • Options

<< <i>One thing I looked for is different color on and very close to the lettering. >>

Hi Carl, that works ok on this coin as there isn't much color elsewhere. I think the 85 is probably fine. Using the lettering as a tool is good but what if there is some color enhanced on another part of the coin? I've seen a few where the color looked good around the lettering and date, but it was enhanced on a crescent in the middle of the coin. Just some food for thought.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback stman. I never thought of that. I guess someone would think they could make a good coin even better by enhancing a part of the fields or something.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file