Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Results for 1892 Windycity proof set - unbelievable

WindycityWindycity Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭✭✭
The results are in and as you will see, this is an incredible set. PCGS grades for the 1892 Windycity proof set are as follows.

Morgan $ - Proof 68DCAM
Barber Half - Proof 67 DCAM
Barber Quarter - Proof 67 DCAM
Barber Dime - Proof 68 CAM
Liberty Nickel - Proof 66 CAM
Indian Cent - Proof 66 RD

Here are the pics.

imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
imageimage
<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website

Comments

• Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140
    Good grief that's a gorgeous set of coins!!!! What's the story behind them?

Frank
  • Options
    Yowsa!
    That humanity at large will ever be able to dispense with artificial paradises seems unlikely. Most men and women lead lives at the worst so painful, and at the best so monotonous, poor, and limited, that the urge to escape, the longing to transcend themselves, if only for a few moments, is and always has been one of the principal appetites of the soul.

Aldous Huxley

Yabba dabba doo.

Fred Flintstone

• Options
    goose3goose3 Posts: 11,471 ✭✭✭
    Sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!
  • Options
    WOW!!!!!!,.....got that......WOWSERS!!!!!!

Did you buy this set "raw"?

Might i be so presumptious as to ask the "raw" cost? (just curious.......can't afford it anyway)

My ONLY preference would be for a little more color on the silver coins.....but those cams look Grrrrreat!
    The Ex-"Crown Jewel" of my collection! 1915 PF68 (NGC) Barber Half "Eliasberg".

Once again resides with Legend, the original purchaser "raw" at live Eliasberg auction. Laura and i "love" the same lady!

• Options
    LegendLegend Posts: 336
    Is that the best you can do? image

That IS an amazing set!
    Laura Sperber

JUST SAY NO TO WANNABES! They lurk and prey on unwitting collectors in chatrooms!
  • Options
    That set is dazzling!
  • Options
    Frank,

While I can not say for certain, I believe this set was hand picked to be displayed at the 1892 Columbian Expo in Chicago. I bought the set from a Chicago deal (Harlan Berk).

As the story goes, they originally bought the set from a Chicago family in 1993. It is believed the family had the set since the 1892.
    Harlan Berk then sold the set (in 1993) to a Chicago collector who sold it back to their firm this spring... at which time I bought the set. In my 40 years of collecting, I have never owned anything so beautiful.

<a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.mullencoins.com">Mullen Coins Website - Windycity Coin website
  • Options
    Windycity, That is one BEAUTIFUL Set!!!!!! image That is a set to really be proud of.

Dave
    Love those toned Washingtons
  • Options
    I think this is the set somebody was telling me about in Long Beach. I think the grading is all wrong image I would have given that cent a cameo also!!! Truly fine! It looks very well matched, I don't doubt this set was together of a century. I hope to see this set in person if at all possible. Thanks for the images!
  • Options
    That is one of those sets that really stops you in your tracks. Very nice!
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    Carl,

Same set. We will have it on display at the Chicago show at the end of the month.

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    That set is absolutely insane. I've seen a lot of single coins on these boards but none even come close to seeing an entire Cameo 1892 high grade proof SET.

Very nice.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    supercoinsupercoin Posts: 2,323
  • Options
    Very, very nice!!!

Can't say that I've ever seen better in parts or as whole!
  • Options
    Is it me, or does that IHC look a bit undergraded?
  • Options
    braddickbraddick Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Economy?

peacockcoins

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Economy? >>

Too valuable for economy...

WHAT A SET! image

Gotta be worth what, $10, $20, $30? image

JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    Windy city, it shouldn't suprise anyone that set is so impressive, after all, 3 of the coins are first year Barbers !!! [Just my totally unbiased opionion]

Les [p.s. Love that dime!!!]
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,150 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yummy! I even like the barbers! image
  • Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    Phenomenal. I doubt there is a better extant proof Morgan.

Greg
  • Options
    FC57CoinsFC57Coins Posts: 9,140

<< <i>I have never owned anything so beautiful. >>

I hope you enjoy it for many years - and tease us with the pics equally as long image
  • Options
    Those are so good looking that at first look I thought maybe some kinda fakes

Very nice set of coins

Thanks for the look
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And the Rest of the Story please. When was it first submitted for grading? What did the family sell it to the dealer for? What did the dealer sell it to the buyer for? What did the dealer pay the buyer to get it back? What did the dealer then sell it to you for? And will it be for sale at the Chicago show and if so at what price?
  • Options
    When we know the table number at the Chicago show, I will post it so those of you in attendence can see the set first hand. It is better than the pictures.

• Options
    IrishMikeIrishMike Posts: 7,738 ✭✭✭
    Breathtaking coins, I am not sure what date we are driving up to the show but please let us all know at what table we can view them.

• Options
    BigD5BigD5 Posts: 3,433
    Well. There's a few coins there that would stop anyone in their tracks. That Morgan is AMAZING! The other coins are ok too. image Actually, if I go back and look at 'em all again, they are ALL amazing. Quite a set.
    BigD5
    LSCC#1864

Ebay Stuff
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    .... and may we hear the rest of the story????? One assumes anything at a table is availabe for sale at some price? For those who show up later in the show will you at least keep the set intact for viewing even if it is "sold" before the show ends?
  • Options
    We will likely have the set on display for the entire show. I truly have not made a decision yet about holding or possibly selling the set. As you all know, I will never find another anything like this. In any case, I will not sell at the Chicago show.

I will likely bring it to the Baltimore show as well.

• Options
    rainbowroosierainbowroosie Posts: 4,874 ✭✭✭✭
    Super set!image
    "You keep your 1804 dollar and 1822 half eagle -- give me rainbow roosies in MS68."
    rainbowroosie April 1, 2003
  • Options
    Extremely nice set. The 92 is a tough date in ultra cameo.
    Bill
    Coin Junkie

cameoproofcoins.com
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding set indeed, Windycity. Was it on display for a time at Berk's? I believe I remember seeing it in person in their center cases inside the shop not too too long ago. It was either this, or another set (perhaps an 1898 is the one I'm thinking of) that had similarly outstanding black and white cameos. I especially loved the quarter. But the more I think about it, I'm almost certain this is the set I saw.

The stuff a collector's dreams are made of for sure! Thanks for taking the time to share it here.
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭
    Wow!! That is a gorgeous set!!
  • Options
    cosmicdebriscosmicdebris Posts: 12,333
    imageimageimage
    Bill

09/07/2006
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,377 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The dollar, quarter, and dime are spectacular. The others are "merely" stunning.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    All I can say is WOW image I hope to have just one of those someday.
  • Options
    Originalisbest,

The coins were at Berk's for just a few days. When I saw them, I had to buy em. If you saw the set there, you know what I mean.
  • Options
    Yes I certainly do! And congratulations on an outstanding set! image In fact I searched a bit and found what I had to say when I saw the set that day, and then posted here. You in fact finished up that post, by posting nice pics of them then! Guess no one noticed at the time. Looks like I got the grades wrong (but remember, I was dazzled, and didn't write them down.)

Thread Title: If anyone has the opportunity to visit Harlan J. Berk in Chicago -

Thursday March 13, 2003 9:24 PM

They've got some real treats on display that allow mere mortals such as me to appreciate such things, barring attendance of a major auction or show. Quite a few early mintmarked Buffalos in Gem PCGS 65 through 67, as well as gem early Buffalo proofs - an 1892 Proof set, cent through dollar (with a PCGS quarter in 67 DCAM with a light peripheral golden tone that caught my eye especially. The half was a mere 66DCAM.) A 1879 proof set, including the Trade Dollar was on display as well. Oh yeah, and a beauty (was it a PCGS MS-64? With some overall gold tone to it) 1916 Standing Lib.
    Forgive my somewhat hazy recollection, I was a bit overdazzled. I walked out with a real nice 1854 PCGS AU-55 type 1 gold dollar - but I sure would like to be the owner of that 67DCAM '92 quarter. You imagine the "perfect" Barber quarter - and that was it, or at least tied for tops! I've yet to see better.

They were FAR outta my league but I enjoyed very much seeing them, nonetheless. Didn't ask to see them out of the case, though I think Tom and the staff there would've let me, had I asked.

In any case, I am very glad to have seen them when I did, and happy to see them again here. Thanks for sharing this outstanding set with the board. You're right in that the impression is even greater in person, as it should be.
  • Options
    I see the set and I think......Jewels. They sparkle and have pizzazz! They belong in a jewelry store.
  • Options
    RGLRGL Posts: 3,784
    Two in 66? Come back when you are serious! image Wowsa, whaddaset, congrats! image
  • Options
    morganbarbermorganbarber Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭
    TTT (As a public service)
    I collect circulated U.S. silver
  • Options
    RYKRYK Posts: 35,791 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fantastic..., thanks MorganBarber for the service.
  • Options
    what happened to barbers ear on the half dollar?
    Also, I agree that the cent is undergraded.
    Retail coin dealers, the only people who can buy a $10 coin for $2, and sell it for $30.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,948 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I will likely bring it to the Baltimore show as well. >>

You darn well better! What better way to attract people than to have ME standing by your table in a hot, red page vest image
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    I think the penny and the dime and obviously the dollar have the best eye appeal in the set. And my favorite "look" is the dime. Les
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    All of the previous comments have already said everything I could possibley add to this incredibly beautiful set. What thanks can be given, to all those people, over the many years, to see that this set was remarkably preserved? Hats off to the wise ones....dave
    gravity--it's the law.
  • Options
    Well, I am partial to quarters, but I say you have to make sure and see the quarter in person. Geez!
  • Options
    Thanks. Can't wait for all of you to see the set when on display in Chicago and Baltimore. The cent, though not graded CAM is either CAM or very close, the dime is wonderfully toned without a mark anywhere... I believe DCAM though graded CAM. The Quarter is spectacular as are the half and dollar. The quarter looks like a 68 to me.

I agree with glassman, the prior owners did a wonderful job of preserving the original beauty. I have never seen such a well matched and wonderful proof set.

-
  • Options
    shylockshylock Posts: 4,288 ✭✭✭
    "Unbelievable" sums it up. Hope you have this set at the Baltimore ANA, will be worth the trip for this alone.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file