Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POLL:If an MS64 coin was going for $1000-What would be the most you would pay for an MS65?

Let’s say it was a coin you really wanted badly. And I would appreciate your reasons for your choice.
image"Darkside" gold

Comments

• Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,014 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't buy any... because I don't have $1000 image

On a serious note- what's the difference between an MS64 and MS65, looks-wise, on the coin? If it is drastic, I'd pay more for the 65, but if they were a tick in difference, buy the 64... remember, it's the coin, not the holder, that matters.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    It is probably a Wisconsin thing (you know the government takes so much tax there is no discrestionary income left to spend) I would probably go with the 64!image

President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

• Options
    clw54clw54 Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭
    I'd look for an MS63.
  • Options
    PhillyJoePhillyJoe Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭✭
    I had trouble picking a price; I think you have to couple the population as a factor. If there are equal numbers in 64 and 65 the difference in price would be a smaller multiple for me. If there were 100 in ms64 and 10 in ms65 with none higher, the multiple would be more dramatic.

Joe
    The Philadelphia Mint: making coins since 1792. We make money by making money. Now in our 225th year thanks to no competition. image
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    An additional factor is whether or not the MS65 is the finest known coin. This can have a dramatic effect on the multiple people are willing to pay.
  • Options
    michaelmichael Posts: 9,524 ✭✭
    it all depends on the coin etc etc and is practically impossible to tell unless i see both the ms 64 and 65 in question and the coin is with my specialities

to tell you specifically i need to see the 64 coin and then the 65 coin then i can answer you within reason to a pretty good certainty

for example a common date morgan in ms 64 and then ms 65 is easy

an ms 64 dmpl 1881 o then an ms65 dmpl 1881 o well that is a totally another story and i would need to see both coins if the morgan the ms65 dmpl 1881 o is a really nice high end 65 and has mirrors as deep as lets say an 81s well then the coin is priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and one of a kind if it exists at all
    even a nice great eye appealling reasonable mirrored ms 64 dmpl 1881o would be a coin worth multiples of greysheet bid as the 81o is one of the worst morgans to get with any type of good let alone great eye appeal in choice and gem unc and then dmpl where everything is magnifyed

a true nice ms64 dmpl 1881o with good mirrors and exceptional eye appeal would to me be worth 3 times bid easy

so i guess an impossible question for me to answer what would you pay for a ms65 if an ms 64 was going for 1000 unless it is a generic common coin

sincerely michael

sincerely michael
  • Options
    TDN gave the right answer.

my icon is a 64, there are 2 known as 65 and none better. a 65 should go for atleast 25-30k if it were possible to buy one.
    as far as a lower priced 64 goes, if it just barely made it to 64 and sold for 1k, i'd gladly pay 8k for a solid 65 if there were just a handful. since 8k wasn't a choice, i picked the closest which is 10k.
    Life's a journey, not a destination.
  • Options
    TrimeTrime Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭
    There obviously is no correct generic answer to the question. It would vary from coin to coin based on appearance and availability of grade.
    Trime
  • Options
    jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In some cases where there is a monster jump in price, I choose to go with a Nice 64 rather than not having the coin at all.

Examples would be:

1912-s Liberty Nickel
    1913-s Ty II buffalo
    1932-d washington

• Options
    TypetoneTypetone Posts: 1,622
    What I would pay depends on the market value. I can imagine a 65 going for 50K when a 64 goes for 1K for some coin out there. So, since you said the most, I had to check the highest box.
  • Options
    DHeathDHeath Posts: 8,472 ✭✭✭
    Jdimmick, ironically it was a 32-D Washington I had in mind. I chose a 3x premium, but obviously it is a speculative post with no coin involved. I like the 32-D example because it is not rare, it is a key date coin with strong demand, and because the difference between a 64 and 65 is usually dramatic for that series. There is really no "set" premium anyone would pay without seeing the coin and depending on whether it was a coin you wanted.
    Developing theory is what we are meant to do as academic researchers
    and it sets us apart from practitioners and consultants. Gregor
  • Options
    Depends upon the coins in question. I would have to see both and how they compared to each other in order to say. Just saying MS64 and MS65 doesn't not begin to give me enough info for my collecting.

However, it is all theoretical because I can't (well, I could but...) spend a grand on a coin. But my answer remains the same whether the amount is $1000 , $100, or $10.
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    tradedollarnuttradedollarnut Posts: 20,159 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The spread on the results of the poll shows that it really depends on the situation and there is no clear cut answer. I can think of instances where my answer would be $2,000 and I can think of instances where my answer might be $50,000 - it just depends!
  • Options
    nwcsnwcs Posts: 13,387 ✭✭✭
    If the price of a 65 wasn't much higher, I'd buy that. If it was much much higher, I'd stick with the 64. Although I violated that rule myself. I found a 66FB and 67FB merc. The price difference was decent. I went with the 67. Not sure why. Oh well. I guess every once in a while you have to break your own rules.
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also depends on the quality of the coin in the holder. I recently paid $4000 for a 65 type coin when the 64 is worth $1000 and the 65 is worth $2700. The "65" in question was in a first gen slab and to me at least a solid 66. I bought the coin and NOT the holder because no one else could get past the 65 holder. Funny how that is. Everyone preaches it, but it's a lot harder to do it.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    Personally, I would stay away from any coin that is priced more than 10% above the previous numerical grade assigned price no matter what the population report states. This frenzy for perceived perfection is ridiculous.
    "It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning."
    - Calvin
    "Why waste time learning, when ignorance is instantaneous?"
    - Hobbes
  • Options

<< <i>I'd look for an MS63. >>

I'm with claw on this one...
  • Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    I picked $4000.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,414 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I went with $1,500. For me to pay more than 150% of the MS64 price for one little grade point, it would have to be something I REALLY wanted.

(Not that this outlook is always a realistic one, the market being what it is...)

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file