Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

What is the best way to gain a possible point upgrade?

jdimmickjdimmick Posts: 9,635 ✭✭✭✭✭
If you have a red lincoln cent that currently resides in a PCGS-64rd holder, but looks like it belongs in a 65 holder. Is it better to break out and send in raw or send in under the regrade option? Also, I sure hope they resolved the fingerprint problem at PCGS

Value difference on this particular date would be double?

Opinions please?

Comments

• Options
    lclugzalclugza Posts: 568 ✭✭
    Just send it to Accugrade.
    image"Darkside" gold
  • Options
    MadMartyMadMarty Posts: 16,697 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Just send it to Accugrade. >>

Poof! instant MS67RED!!!

Send it in for a re-grade.
    It is not exactly cheating, I prefer to consider it creative problem solving!!!

• Options
    merz2merz2 Posts: 2,474
    jd
    Because regrade is twice the price,my first thought is crackout.If the value doubles then regrade is the way to go.IMHO
    Don
    Registry 1909-1958 Proof Lincolns
  • Options
    barberloverbarberlover Posts: 2,229
    "I can' resist this"

Based on some previous threads, i would say get David to ask the graders to "see what they can do" image
    The President claims he didn't lie about taxes for those earning less then $250,000 a year with public mandated health insurance yet his own justice department has said they will use the right of the government to tax when the states appeals go to court.
  • Options
    airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 22,022 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Regrades are the same as the regular tier price, aren't they?

Besides, the graders see them raw regardless, so there's no problem here... you can't be bumped down if it's a bad day with no compensation, as you can with a crackout.

Jeremy
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    IMO sending that 64RD in with other coins similar to it for regrade would be the best bet. Sending in several high quality 64RD's at once time to be seen together IMO increases your chances that one or all will do better.

roadrunner
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    northcoinnorthcoin Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The suggestion to send it in with others of similar quality intrigues me. My dealer sent in a roll of really nice Wallkers that looked MS60 plus to both me and him and they all came back AU. In a way that confirms your theory even though it worked to lower the grade in that instance.
  • Options
    foodudefoodude Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭
    I just send in regrades in the slab. I have tried it both ways and have not seen a significant difference in the results.

Further, unless you have experience, or know someone that does, you may damage the coin trying to get it out of the holder. I have removed them from holders without damaging a coin, but there is always that risk. I'm not sure how the grading services do it, but I suspect, with a high degree of certainty, that they have the proper equipment to assure that the chances of a coin being damaged is about zero. I also suspect that most other people don’t have that equipment. All the “at home” techniques that I have heard about for removing coins carry some risk of accidentally damaging the coin, including having the coin just get away from you...
    Greg Allen Coins, LLC Show Schedule: https://forums.collectors.com/discussion/573044/our-show-schedule-updated-10-2-16 Authorized dealer for NGC, PCGS, CAC, and QA. Member of PNG, RTT (Founding Platinum Member), FUN, MSNS, and NCBA (formerly ICTA); Life Member of ANA and CSNS. NCBA Board member. "GA3" on CCE.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,331 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the coins a original 65R, then it doesn't really matter. As noted, I would rather they take the risk of damaging the coin on a breakout. If you break it out, on a bad day it may come back AT!
    "My friends who see my collection sometimes ask what something costs. I tell them and they are in awe at my stupidity." (Baccaruda, 12/03).I find it hard to believe that he (Trump) rushed to some hotel to meet girls of loose morals, although ours are undoubtedly the best in the world. (Putin 1/17) Gone but not forgotten. IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Broadstruck, Ricko.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file