Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Albums that make sense

I bought a Whitman Classic type set album and now wonder if I should have bought Dansco or another brand.

Here are the issues with it I wonder about:

1. Why does it have steel and zinc cents, but no space for war time copper cents? If composition is so important, why delete the copper cents? BTW, why doesn't PCGS include war time coppers in the type registry, either?

2. Why include the 1909 VDB if war time coppers aren't included (e.g. other "minor varieties" are excluded)?

3. Why include the 1913 variety 1 nickel when other varieties are excluded?

4. Why include the variety I and II clad Bicentennial Ikes?

It seems somewhat arbitrary to me to include some varieties and exclude others. Are the variety I and II Bicentennial Ikes that popular?

Is there another album with a layout that makes more sense?
Obscurum per obscurius

Comments

• Options
    baccarudabaccaruda Posts: 2,588 ✭✭
    1. makes sense to me. steel is a composition change - the coppers aren't

2. see above

3. the 1913 T1 is a design variety, there are no other design varieties.

4. see #3

Only my opinion of course, but that's what I consider a type set - all denominations, designs, and compositions. that's why I didn't buy an album for my type set; I make my own rules. I don't want 500 1982 pennies so 1 zinc will do. I cant afford 2 BU SLQs so I've eliminated the T1 SLQ and Buffalo as not significant enough variations. Got rid of the Sac too. Included a Classic and Modern commem, no gold coins etc.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    shirohniichanshirohniichan Posts: 4,992 ✭✭✭
    I thought the war time copper cents were of a different composition (though only slightly so).
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    didn't know about that if it's true. I know there are 8 different composition varieties on Lincoln cents in 1982 - who the heck wants 8 modern cents in their set? I don't want any minted after 1970 for that matter.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    I don't want any minted after 1970 for that matter.

If I didn't include them my set would be lacking the beautiful Ike and SBA dollars-- and who could live without those aesthetic marvels?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    you're right shiro -

1944-1946 contained 95% copper and 5% zinc compared with 95% copper and 5% zinc and tin in previous and subsequent issues. I'm not sure I would save a spot for an undisclosed amount of alloy less than 5%.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    If I didn't include them my set would be lacking the beautiful Ike and SBA dollars-- and who could live without those aesthetic marvels?

yeah I sucked it up and included those. Only because they're super-cheap.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    mdwoodsmdwoods Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭
    The "20th Century Type Set With Type Variations, No Gold - Circulation Strikes (1900-1999)" requires the Shell Casing cent. The others dont' appear to. mdwoods
    National Register Of Big Trees

We'll use our hands and hearts and if we must we'll use our heads.
  • Options
    BarryBarry Posts: 10,100 ✭✭✭
    Dansco tends to follow Red Book varieties. Maybe the same with Whitman?
  • Options
    And I bet they don't have holes for my Civil War and Hard Times tokens (that I have in my type set) either. image
    Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

CoinPeople.com || CoinWiki.com || NumisLinks.com
  • Options
    BikingnutBikingnut Posts: 3,371 ✭✭✭
    I have the Dansco version that I bought in 1988. It doesn't include the war time copper cents, probably because it's not a major difference from the other copper cents. the cents that were minted from 1944 to 1946 were made from spent shell casings. They are included in the PCGS 20th century registry set with varieties. I like my Dansco except that there are four slots for Commerative halves, which never really made sense to me.
    US Navy CWO3 retired. 12/81-09/04

Looking for PCGS AU58 Washington's, 32-63.
  • Options
    Is the position of "VDB" a big enough difference to warrant the 1909 VDB's inclusion in the set? Why not have a spot for Walkers with an obverse mintmark or Jeffersons with a reverse mintmark?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Does anyone know which coins this album has spaces for?

Dansco #7070 U.S. Type, Major Coins, 1800 - Date
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Steve27Steve27 Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭
    Shiroh, I have/completed the same album. While some of your criticisms are valid, I find that this album is a good representation of 20th century coins. My question is, why are there type 1 and 2 Ikes, but no high relief Peace dollar. However, I do like the fact that they recognize that the 20th century ended in 2000 (unlike PCGS which believes that 1999 was the last year).
    "It's far easier to fight for principles, than to live up to them." Adlai Stevenson
  • Options
    The Dansco I have, doesn't include the type one and type two IKE's. It only has two .Jefferson slots, one for the regular composition, and one for the war time composition. To answer your question about the Dansco, it has the following:

Page one

Draped bust half cent, Turban head half cent, Liberty head haf cent, Draped bust large cent, Turban head large cent, Liberty head large cent 1816-39, Liberty head lage cent 1840-57, Flying eagle cent, Indian Head cent 1859, Indian Head cent 1860-1863, Indian head cent 1864-1909, Lincoln 1909VDB, Lincoln 1909-58, Lincoln 1943, Lincoln 1959-, Two cent, 3 cent silver, 3 cent nickel.

Page two

Liberty cap half dime, 3 spaces for Liberty seated half dime 1837-59, 1853-55 arrows, 1860-73, Shield Nickel wth rays, Shiel nickel without rays, Liberty nickel no cents 1883, Liberty nickel with cents, Buffalo T1, Buffalo T2, Jefferson, Silver Jefferson, Liberty cap dime, 3 spaces for Liberyty seated dime (same as the half dime), Barber dime, Silver Roosevelt, clad Roosevelt

Page three

20 cent, Liberty head quarter, three spaces for the Liberty head quarter (same as the half dime and dime), Barber quarter, T1 Standing Liberty quarter, T2 SLQ, silver Washington quarter, clad Washington, Turban head half readed edge, three spaces for the Liberty seated half ( same as the hlaf dime, dime, and quarter), Barber half

Page four

Walking Liberberty half, Franklin, Silver kennedy, clad Kennedy, four slots for commerative halfs, your choice, two slots for Liberty seated dollars 1840-65 and 1866-73, Trade dollar, Morgan, Peace, IKE

Page five

Bicentenial quarter half, and dollar, and Anthony dollar

I would imagine sooner or latter they will update the last page to include the Sac dollar.

• Options
    Thanks, bikingnut.

I wonder why Dansco didn't include the "no stars" varieties of Liberty Seated half dimes and dimes. I imagine because they're a lot more expensive than the 1909 VDB cent, 1883 "no cents" Liberty nickel, and type 1 Buffalo (varieties I think less worthy of inclusion because they're harder to spot at first glance).

I'm going to call the shops around here to see if they have one. image
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    Steve -

Because the type 1 and 2 Ikes were 2 different designs, the peace dollar had only 1 design. Just like I'm including a 1976 Ike, Kennedy, and Washington because they're new designs.

I would not include a VDB as a separate slot in my set- that's not a design change.

1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    If slight design revisions are the basis for inclusion of varieties in albums, wouldn't the 1921 Morgans also have their own spaces?
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    I bought an updated Dansco Type Album

Bikingnut is correct -- they have updated the last page -- it now also includes the SAC, a 50 State Quarter, a $1 Modern Commem and a Silver Eagle.

There's also an extra page that can be added that would include gold coins, but I'm not sure of what coins exactly it entails.

But, by far the most complete & difficult to complete Type Set Album I've seen, is the Wayte Raymond Type Set I just bought (brand new). It has 3 slots for 1793 Cents -- Chain, Wreath & Liberty Cap, it has a slot for an Isbella Quarter along with numerous slots for other pre-1800 coins.

I don't know if I'll ever complete this set. But I promised myself I would purchase 1-2 coins a year for it, in the highest possible grade I can afford!

Good-luck with your set, they are fun to work on.

Michael
  • Options
    Heres a link where you can purchase one. The price looks pretty reasonable.

dansco albums

• Options
    man shiro, you are a stickler for detail! i decided what i wanted in my type set in about 10 minutes!
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!
  • Options
    GilbertGilbert Posts: 1,533 ✭✭✭
    Wouldn't what you are calling "wartime copper" be considered a major variety and that is why it isn't in the average album. Now, I am distinguishing by apparent color (steel v. brown) for 1943PDS. How many normal albums have "labeled" spots for major varieties.

Maybe the compositional difference was just not considered very significant until the great increase in collectors of varieties.
    Gilbert
  • Options
    One reason I asked about the wartime coppers is because I have an old Capital Plastics type set holder with a space for them.

I'm not that much of a stickler for detail in 20th century type sets.

My ideal album wouldn't have a space for the VDB cents, wartime coppers, type 1 Buffalos, a distinction between variety I and II Ikes, or a number of other coins my current album has slots for.

I'm definitely going to buy an 1800 to present album for my "transition year" type set. It will have some blank spaces (especially in modern years), but it will be fairly full. I want to be able to show US coin desing changes at a glance.
    Obscurum per obscurius
  • Options
    actually i kinda like the "shellcase copper" idea. i may add that to my set if for no other reason than a conversational piece.
    1 Tassa-slap
    2 Cam-Slams!
    1 Russ POTD!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file